CHAPTER 5

After a hectic day at the beginning of the new month, Sumedh went to the public library. Not to read, but definitely to sleep. He loves sleeping in the single-chamber made for introverts as it's quieter and more peaceful there compared to his rental apartment.

Five minutes into his sleep, Sumedh heard the sound of an inconsistent anklet. This means someone has worn only one anklet without its pair. Sumedh woke up and sit steadily with a jolt. He has thought of something which could be true. He took out the silver anklet that he found at the Holi event. He shook it vigorously to compare the sound, which matched the sound he just heard.

"Shhhhhh!" He heard it from nowhere. He decided to follow the sound of the anklet and return it to the owner. Unfortunately, the sound slowly disappeared and many women were walking here and there. It was hard for him to identify the woman. He thought of staring at each women's feet, but that would look awkward. So, he crawled to the other side of the bookshelf while watching those girls' ankles.

Time passed and his knees begin to hurt. He leans on the bookshelf with his right arm resting above his head. Once again, he heard that inconsistent anklet sound. He quickly & quietly turned to look at her ankles. Yes! It was her! Her one ankle was empty. Sumedh was excited for a second but wanted to make sure the anklet that he was holding and the one that she was wearing is the same. He brought the silver anklet closer to her leg through the hole of the shelf. He just wanted to compare those anklets without letting her know, but unfortunately, the silver anklet which was as cold as ice due to the air conditioning in the library touched the sensitive skin of her foot.

On the other hand, the girl who is Mallika who was collecting some books to borrow felt something climbing on her feet. Being phobic of insects, she thought it could be a lizard and jolted back. As her back collided roughly with the bookshelf behind her, it fall, making the other three bookshelves behind it fall in a row. Being panicked at this situation, Sumedh stood up quickly and ended up bumping his head on the other bookshelf, and what more? It also fell!

Mallika's heart was beating vigorously against her chest.

"I'm the reason for this mess? Am I? No! It's the mistake of that cold stuff, maybe that lizard! I'm out!" Mallika quickly placed a stack of books that she intended to borrow on the floor and left that spot.

Sumedh who struggled to get out of the mini hill of books was caught red-handed by the librarians. Sumedh gulped down the knot that formed in his throat in fear.

"Listen, I'm sorry for the mess, although I'm not the reason for it!" Sumedh? ಠ_ʖಠ

"I'll pay the compensation!" Sumedh said.

One of the librarians went and checked on the books and bookshelves, fortunately, none was damaged.

"As there is no damage, we don't want compensation. Instead, you have to clear this mess! You have to arrange those books according to the genre and barcodes. Thank you!" The lady librarian passed him a trolley and gave him the barcode list.

"Here you go!"

"But, I wasn..."

"Thank you! We'll close at 7, there's only 1 hour left."

"Damnit!" Sumedh punched his thigh and then winced in pain later. He saw a stack of books standing out from the others and assumed it should be the collection of the woman who caused such a big mess.

"You literally ran away as if you weren't the reason for all of this! I ain't sparing these books for you, instead, I'm going to hide them somewhere so that you wouldn't get them even if you visit here once again!" Sumedh smirked and hid those books behind the couch one by one. Although he didn't get to see her face, he decided to avenge her. An hour later, he successfully arranged those books back on the shelves and headed out. But little did he know he spent an extra 20 minutes seeking revenge against Mallika and the library was already closing. The automatic shutter if the entrance was half-closed.

"No, wait!!!" He screamed while sliding under the shutter. Fortunately, he was able to get out.

"That was a close call!" He huffed.

"Shut up, ok?" Mallika regrets telling about this incident to Anvisht over the video call

"Shut up, ok?" Mallika regrets telling about this incident to Anvisht over the video call. They were to fall about for the past 10 minutes.

"You got away with that? Such a cruel lady!" Anika mocked her.

"Ya, I mean, I feel bad but what do you aspect me to do? I was overtaken by anxiety." Mallika defend herself.

"How about the books you wanted to borrow? You brought them?" Pravisht asked.

"No, I was too nervous that I dropped them down and came without sparing a single glance behind! But I guess I will go again tomorrow. I should probably apologize to the librarians and cleaners. Poor them, I've troubled them alot. Maybe, I should pay them too!" Mallika was guilty of her actions.

"I remember telling you to make them fall for you, but never in my life did I think you will make those bookshelves fall!" Anika was still guffawing at her. Mallika rolled her eyes and Pravisht was joining Anika in her uncontrollable laugh. Sudden of all...

"Oh shit! I have a meeting in 10 minutes, gotta go! See you guys later, byee!" Pravisht hung up the phone remembering he has a business meeting soon with Sumedh and his other clients.

"And what, you are going to laugh over the night?" Mallika frowned.

"Ok, baba! I didn't laugh! Alright? That's fine, you didn't do it on purpose na. Don't feel bad. As you said earlier, visit them and apologies. Everything should be alright."

"I hope so! I hope I didn't trouble anyone!" But you did my dear Mallika (⊙_◎)

After some bestie gossip, Manika hung the call and went to bed at nearly 1 o'clock. Mallika has an office tomorrow while Anika got to go to school. Although Mallika isn't a person who stays awake overnight, she would only do that to talk to Anika. They share a bond more than friendship which seems to be unbeatable.

Hi people, how was the chapter?

In your opinion, who's mistake is it?

Sumedh?
Mallika?
Or the bookshelf builders that build absolutely fragile bookshelves?
Or me? 🫣

Don't forget to

VOTE ✅
COMMENT ✅
SHARE ❤️