CHAPTER 15

Mallika has been ignoring Sumedh and his text messages for hours. She finds it hard to do but the presence of another girl between her and the man that she's been spending and sharing her time hurts her. She turned off her mobile data and fell asleep as she was absolutely tired after preparing for her bestie's big day.

Mallika's POV

You said it was just a walk, a walk through the dark mall. I flinched at the blindfold of mine, yet the warmth of your palm comforted me. Gently, you brought me further into the quiet and empty mall. I shut my eyes tight from the sudden brightness of the LED Screens. As soon as I read the words on it, my eyes went wide.

I LOVE YOU it says, TO THE MOON AND BACK, your voice echoed. With tears pooling in my almond eyes, I ran out of the mall, leaving you behind.

My feet stopped right in front of the giant clock tower. It shows 11:11. It was yours! It was always you! You're my only 11:11 wish that I refuse to forget. Joining my palms together, sobbing out loud, drenching my oily face with my long-lost tears, my heart prayed to be united with you, even though my lips denied speaking the truth.

Finding the truth within me, you held my cold palm, assuring me with your reddish eyes, that I'm yours and you're mine. All I was able to do is hide my face in your broad chest, as my knees go weak in disbelief. Disbelief that I was accepted by you, with all my flaws, scars, and fears!

I LOVE YOU TOO! I whispered and all I heard in return was a question, to which I scoffed. "Pinky Promise?" I lift my head to see your manly face and...

POV ends

Mallika woke up with a flinch, her lips trembled and her eyes pooled.

"What does this supposed to mean? Why am I getting dreams all related to him?" She cried in silence until she received an incoming call. It was Anika. She wiped her tears and answered the phone call.

"Anika? Is everything alright? Why are you calling at this time?" Mallika asked with concern.

"Ya, all okay. Mallika, I have something to ask you" Anika said in a rush tone.

"Go ahead."

"What do you feel for Sumedh?" Mallika gasped at her sudden question. She didn't know what to answer.

"Answer na! What do you feel for Sumedh? Who's Sumedh to you?" Anika insisted she answer.

"I... I like him as a person. I don't know how to describe it, but his presence in my life makes me happy." Mallika said.

"That's all right?"

"Ya I guess so!" Mallika said although she wasn't sure about the different feeling hitting deep in her heart. "Why did you raise this question suddenly of all?" Mallika continued.

Anika narrated the incident that happened sometime back, where Anvisht and Sumedh were on the talk about Sumedh's decision.

"He's confused, he said! If he's confused, why should he be talking to you, to a girl which he never did before, not even to that girl?" Anika burst out. Mallika was just keeping quiet the entire time.

"Anika, he needs time. I decided to avoid his text messages for some time. Not that I'm angry that he couldn't decide, but I don't want to pressure him from my side. I agree that I like him, but for that, I can't disturb his mental peace. Already his relatives and that girl, Akshara have been eating his brain, now, if I continue to talk to him, it'll be like I'm giving him hope and this will confuse him more! I prioritize his peace and mental health first. I don't want him to hurt himself in any way to get rid of this confusion. Let him talk on his own time and realize his feelings." Mallika said. Anika paused for a second. She sensed something different from Mallika.

"Bro? Are you in love?" Mallika was once again startled by Anika's question.

"Huh? Wh.. what?"

"I don't know if you realize this, but it seems you're in love already!" Anika's statement raise a question in herself. Is she in love?

"Take time to realize your feelings no problem. From your side, the only person we have to face is your mom, because you're in a clear state. But in Sumedh's case, it's different. He's putting others in front of himself. I mean sometimes it's fine, but this is his life decision, which he couldn't change. If he thinks to adjust for the sake of his relatives, then for his entire life, he would be regretting and cheating himself. This will never grant a happy life for him." Anika said.

"I agree, Anika. I've seen my cousin in this state. She was forced into an arranged marriage. For us, the outsiders, we always adore them as sweet couples that used to tease each other. But 8 years after their marriage, they divorced. Why? The reason is there's no understanding. They pretend to be happy with us, but in private they were living a life like in hell. The only advice I've received from her is that, choose the one that your heart says yes to, not your parents or family. That statement of hers has been keeping me on the right track. But for Sumedh, I don't know! The only thing I can assure is that, if he's genuinely happy and in love with Akshara, or even any other girl, then I would be happy. I will completely stop talking to him that day onwards because talking to one's lover is wrong in my opinion." Mallika concluded. Anika felt proud of her bestie, she was different. Unlike the girls these days trying to snatch another girl's man.

"I'm damn proud of you bro! By the way, I got Akshara's Instagram, let's stalk her." Anika said to which Mallika agreed. As she was stalking her, she realized that Akshara was prettier than Mallika herself. She's modal and this is where her insecurities pop up again. Mallika casually clicked on the very first highlight of Akshara's Instagram account and now she regretted it.

That highlight was dedicated to Sumedh only. She posts his pictures there and mentioned him as her crush. She posts his picture on Bae's Day and types a whole paragraph about how much she thinks and loves him. Mallika shut her phone and kept it on her lap. Her breath hitched, deciding that Sumedh is never gonna be by her side.

"Mallika?" Anika called her, as she also realized that Mallika has seen the highlights.

"Bro, I'm tired, I want to sleep. Will talk to you tomorrow!" Mallika said with a slightly shaky voice and end the call. Anika felt bad for asking her to stalk Akshara's Instagram. She didn't feel good because her bestie is on the verge of crying.

On the other hand, Mallika refused to open Sumedh's text. Scoffing, she told herself, "Of course, I don't deserve him!" A tear droplet rolled down her cheeks staring at her diary.

Don't forget to

VOTE ✅
COMMENT ✅
SHARE❤️