Chapter Nine

Eros had been doubtful that Angie would come back with any concrete answers. How was a human supposed to know the ins and outs of Other World mysteries?

Still, predicting her imminent failure, he hadn't expected her to come back in such a rotten mood. She slumped into the driver's seat, gracelessly slamming her hand against the dashboard.

"I take it you didn't get the answers you were looking for."

She groaned. "Please. Just give me five minutes."

"I could've told you this before you went in."

"Of course you could."

But her failure meant they were back to square one all over again. Eros didn't know why or how this'd happened and neither did she. Without these answers, how were they supposed to rectify this?

Think!

Thousands of years of knowledge under his belt and here he was, still drawing blanks.

She held a leaflet in her hands, scrunched up and wrecked, but a leaflet all the same.

"What's that?"

She pulled it closer to herself, out of his reach. "Private."

She's hiding something again.

They wouldn't be getting anywhere if they couldn't see things on the same page.

Which meant Angie's attitude, one way or another, needed to come to an end.

Not her attitude in general. Fuck no. His bollocks were aching for that. Moreso her outlook on these matters.

Angie needed to see them as a team, stuck in this bullshit together.

"Sure looks it." He counted to ten in his head, waiting for her to let her guard down.

Annoyingly, she didn't. Angie clutched it tighter.

"Give me the leaflet Evangeline."

"Not happening."

"It's not up for debate."

"I'm—"

He snatched it before she could fight him on it.

He didn't like a word of what he saw. He flipped it over, a hand on her knee, huffing.

She's getting it.

Naturally, he couldn't have gotten stuck with a rational human. It just had to be her.

"Doctors. Got a headache or something?" He'd play her game. She's so getting it. "No surprise there. Chucking medicine back like you were can't be good for you."

"They're not those kind of Doctors."

Just as he'd known. Angie was pushing her luck yet again. Now, he'd have to pull out the big guns.

I'm fucking real.

And they'd get nowhere unless she came face to face with that fact.

"Then...Doctor of CBT therapy? Doctor of child and adolescent psychotherapy?"

"I saw one of those when I was younger."

"Psychotherapy...?"

"My kind of therapy was for crazy people."

"Gods damn it Evangeline." He cursed under his breath. "This is your first strike." And if she got to ten, there'd be consequences...

Angie would make their time together so much harder than it needed to be.