Chapter Nineteen

Eros' mind was awash with thoughts and confusion.

Ares is here!

He'd been dying to reach out for an ally, and now an ally had found him. Eros had his best friend, another God, working at his side. If there was anyone he could trust to bring him back to life, then it was Ares.

He and Angie wouldn't be so in the dark anymore. They had another lead. They had someone to watch their backs and help them out.

So why did he still feel so shitty?

Oh, that was why.

Angie walked ahead of them, fast in approach to the hotel doors.

Though Ares walked at his side, catching him up on present Other World affairs, Angie hadn't spoken a word to either one of them willingly since Ares had arrived. When communication between the two men was absolutely necessary, she'd speak up, but that was it.

Angie was pretending he wasn't even there.

He'd been ignored by women before. Women who were playing hard to get. Women who wanted to string him along. But he knew this wasn't the case with Angie.

Angie ignored him because she was mad. Because she didn't trust him. Because she'd needed him and he hadn't pulled through.

And damn it, he wanted her trust.

Turn around Ange.

She didn't. Wouldn't, actually. With that constant erotic sway of her hips paining his dick, she strolled ahead as if she didn't know them, sending casual, flirty smiles at the people of Milan.

Why did that piss him off so much?

Turn around!

It was like she lived beneath his skin, pissing him off as much as humanly possible.

He glanced to his side where Ares—his best friend—walked beside him catching him. Currently, he was being caught up on monarchy changes across the worlds.

Right now, that was what he should be focusing on. It'd been six hundred years. The feelings should've been overwhelming.

But damn it!

His eyes wouldn't leave Evangeline and his thoughts wouldn't stray from her.

I let her down.

Angie had a point. It had taken him too long to pull through and now she was hurting.

It wouldn't happen again.

Nothing else was allowed to shock him.

Just before they reached the hotel, Angie stopped to dig through her bag, pulling out a long scarf. When she tied it around her neck and hid her bruises, fury ran rife through him.

Those bruises weren't his fault, sure, but he could've stopped them.

It wouldn't happen again.

I won't let her down again.

After booking a two-room suite for the night, they walked in silence, only speaking when the door was safely locked behind them.

She took a minute to cautiously assess this 'ally', putting as much space between them as was socially acceptable.

Ares' skin was tanned, his face coated in dark stubble. His hair and eyes were dark. If it weren't for that smirk, he'd have a stern look about his face. Like Eros, Angie knew this man was terribly self-adoring.

"Evangeline, I'm sure you have some questions about who I am."

None. She had all of her answers already.