Chapter - 67 One Step Closer

A loud silence was echoing in the room.

Loud.

Dead silence.

Even Sonia wasn’t uttering a word. She stared at Siddharth wide-eyed while Avneet's heart was hammering from the overly tense atmosphere.

In the big living room, she felt suffocated from the tension released by the three men. Avneet's face was pale as she stared at them. Cold sweat coated her palms as she kept them fisted hoping for some warmth to keep her grounded.

"You have some nerve, boy," Aman gritted out. His calm facade cracking, nostrils flaring. Avneet felt her heart dropping at her feet. Her father was angry. No, he was furious.

"You were hired as my daughter's bodyguard. You were meant to do your job. Not catching feelings for your client," Aman said, regaining his composure. Siddharth remained quiet, swallowing down his pride. He knew he was saying the truth.

"I thought you were the best bodyguard for my sister based on your performance from your previous cases," Jai said, staring at Siddharth with coldness Avneet never saw from him.

"Perhaps, I was wrong to mistake you for a professional, when you clearly...," Jai said eyeing him with disdain. "....are not," he finished.

Avneet gasped audibly at the insult her brother had just thrown at Siddharth. Disbelief etched into her face. She gaped at her brother and father who were spewing such harsh words at Siddharth for what reason she couldn’t understand.

She found her strength back and stepped away from her dad and stood beside Siddharth. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked dead in the eyes of her family.

"You are accusing him of unprofessionalism, Jai?" She started calmly with her game voice on. Jai eyed his sister with a raised eyebrow.

"I clearly remember you trying to hit on your client a year or so ago. Did you forget or is it added newly in the law for you?" she shot back. Jai grimaced at the harshness.

"Princess now is not the time to be childish. This man was supposed to be your bodyguard. Just a bodyguard. Not your lover. It is against the rules," Aman explained calmly.

"Rules? Since when did you start caring for rules, dad? Wasn’t you the one who married mom when she was the daughter of your boss?" she asked raising an eyebrow. Aman's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Sweetheart," Siddharth muttered gently placing his palm over one of her tightly fisted ones. Avneet relaxed her tense shoulders a bit as she looked into his calm eyes.

"It’s okay. You don’t need to get defensive of me. They are saying the truth. It was unprofessional of me to be emotionally involved with my client," he said with an understanding nod. He knew what he was getting himself into.

"But it’s just hypocrisy when they did the same," She protested stubbornly. Siddharth smiled before looking back at their audience who were eyeing them with guarded curiosity.

"I'm well aware of my unprofessionalism, sir," Siddharth said straightening his back. "If you look into my previous cases, you will not find any sort of unprofessionalism," he added.

"How can I believe you will not do such thing again? How can you guarantee that you will not be emotionally involved with any other of your clients in the future?" Aman asked, guardedly.

"You don’t need to be worried because of that, sir. I've submitted my resignation letter very recently," Siddharth clarified.

"Why?" Sonia asked this time. Wariness was clear on her face.