- Chapter 18 -

THE FIRST TUTOR SESSION, ———

———

Sunday.

Regulus had scheduled our first tutor session, this Sunday after we were told to work with each other. He said it wouldn't be long, and only had to be in the common room. Some time to do a plan, going forward.

I hadn't seen him since he wandered down those stairs and into my conversation. The one where Dorcas told him I had been on a date with his brother; Sirius Black.

I felt a bit hesitant to show up. Maybe if I just stayed locked inside my dorm room, I wouldn't have to face the awkwardness of having to approach the topic that it's nothing. Or did I even approach it at all? I'm entirely unaware of how to behave in this scenario. What was the expected etiquette when someone in your year, who happens to end up your potions tutor, finds out you're giggling and blushing over their brother? Do you just ignore it?

I wondered if he'd even show up himself.

He probably thought I was idiotic, the way we were all loudly cackling and throwing our heads back in laughter over the mere idea of a kiss.

I'd hoped he hadn't heard what sent us into a frenzy as he was coming down the dorm stairs.

In all fairness, Regulus did look utterly confused to what he had walked into. Especially due to the fact his surname had been shouted in a way that could have come across as belittlement. It wasn't. It was Dorcas and Ramona purely teasing me through Sirius, but I feared it didn't come across like that.

His 'good for you' echoed around my head.

It was said in such a way that was born from pure confusion, and at the same time an utter disinterest with the mixture of disapproval. All at once.

I never thought I was one to seek academic approval. I knew it felt better when there was no struggle, but it wasn't the approval I was looking for, it was the desire to not work hard.

Seeing that almost subtle, yet so loud reaction from Regulus...I suddenly felt like a people pleaser. Like I had to redeem myself just because he's teaching me something now.

I didn't want him to dread these tutoring sessions more than he had to.

There was also something about wanting his approval when it came to Sirius too. Although it had only been one date, I knew Sirius wanted another. Ramona's words about keeping their family as close to me as possible really stuck in my head. She was right, unfortunately...to know and have a good relationship with anyone from their family would benefit me once I left these castle walls.

I hadn't cared to be Regulus' friend, anything other than another classmate, until I saw his look of disapproval. Until it really hit home that he could be as important as how Sirius was treated whilst we were out.

Was he also a Master black?

Status. Wealth. Power.

It wasn't anything I cared to consider when I was thinking about who I wanted to be friends with. Perhaps I've been wrapped up in the Hogwarts bubble wrap for too long, that is finally and slowly beginning to pop, that I'm realising they're factors to think about.