- Chapter 54 -

THE PURE BLOOD CHRISTMAS PARTY, (Part three) At Malfoy Manor———

(Part three)
At Malfoy Manor
———

It took me a second to navigate where Ramona was spotting the infamous Lady Black. I glanced from person to person, each colourful dress and suit paired with an as bright face, didn't linger upon ours.

And then she appeared through the crowd. Though I had no idea what she looked like, I knew who she was the moment I saw her.

A thin and pale face, sharply defined. Dark hair and eyes as pale as her skin, beneath her shadowed brow. A hollow expression in them, masked by a disconcerting smile. The smile of a host with nothing left to give.

She didn't wear colourful and seasonal dress robes like the other guests. No hint of red or green to show her Christmas spirit.

She wore Black. As Black as the blood and name she was loyal to.

"Lady Black." Ramona curtsied a little. I copied, awfully and a few seconds behind in a panicked delay.

The woman, younger than I expected, stood closely in front of us. Hands clasped together, somehow making her already white knuckles appear translucent.

"Miss Parkinson." She acknowledged her. Gently and subtly tipping her head with a polite and rehearsed exchange.

Her icy eyes then drifted over to me and just like the cold air, I felt my breath being stolen in the coldness of her gaze.

"And you are?" She asked. An unexpected gentleness in her voice. A tenderness that contrasted the harshness of her appearance.

"G- Miss Webb, Madam." I said clearing my throat as subtly as I could.

She hummed, her eyebrows raising a little. As if she had stumbled upon a baby bird fallen out of its nest; or perhaps that's just how I felt.

Her head tilted ever so slightly, as she started to analyse me. From top to toe. Then in reverse. Agonisingly slow.

I couldn't pull my (potentially, clearly fearful) stare away from her. Starting to over think whether it was rude to stare, or impolite to look away. Regardless, I continued. Like a deer in the headlines, unable to act natural.

It almost felt as if were playing dead, not a single breath exhaling from my body. Until,

"Beautiful gown." She said, my shoulders relaxing immediately.
"Is it house pride?" She questioned, referring to the shade of deep, emerald green.

Just as Ramona suspected she'd ask.

"I'm a proud Slytherin, Lady Black." I said with the best smile I could produce.
"Imagine if I were a Hufflepuff in a dress like this? I'm not sure I'd pull it off as well." It blurted out. A terrible joke, making Ramona stiffen beside me.

There was a split second of stun. Complete silence. Making me want to swallow my tongue whole.

And then to my surprise...the corners of her mouth twitched. Almost as if she found my response amusing.