- Chapter 40 -

SNOWBELLS,Regulus' POV———"You guys need to get a grip

SNOWBELLS,
Regulus' POV
———
"You guys need to get a grip." Evan shivered.

"You need a cigarette." Pandora held one between her ring finger and middle, delicately.

It was past curfew. Though the sky still felt light despite the time, the reflection of the moon bouncing off of the snow.

"You need to learn about layers." I mumbled, my own hands shaking as I lit up the cigarette between my lips.

"Okay, Dad." Evan rolled his eyes.

"Oh, he left you a howler." Pandora's memory was triggered.

Pandora and Evan were half siblings. Same Dad, different Mum's. Hence the different surnames. A bit of a taboo in our world. People still make comments about it occasionally. Despite the fact that we were all interwoven in some way, anyway. Pandora was as much as a Rosier as Evan. Why did their Dad not demand she received his surname? Well, he refused to take on a girl. The simplicity in it, caused some people with similar beliefs on having first born sons...to keep their comments quiet.

Evan was the one celebrated and given the Rosier family name.

I had always loved Pandora for it. A kinship was there. Though I could never know what it was like to be the daughter with a purist background.

Something she could do that I couldn't, however, is still love her brother despite the injustice.

Pandora was better than me. She was better than any one of us here, huddled outside in the snow, breathing smoke into our lungs.

"Like that's being opened." Evan rolled his eyes to himself. Shoving his hands in his jacket pockets. His shoulders tensed up to his ears. Silky blue pyjamas on underneath, as if he thought that was going to keep him warm.

He rejected Pandora's offer of a cigarette, he 'quit' every year. At random points. Only lasting about three weeks. Though he'd always inhale a little too deeply around us all and come out anyway.

We could expect him with one in hand by the new year.

Barty had disappeared.

Something I had only just noticed, finally looking up from the trodden snow, to internally laugh at Evan's desperate looking face, taking in second hand smoke as if he needed it to breathe.

I frowned, furrowing my eyebrows.

Pandora, hyper vigilant as always, raised hers at me. Leaning in instantly to touch my shoulder, just a nudge to grab my attention.

"Barty is collecting snowbells." She said, knowing instantly what was going on in my head.

I turned my head, not looking towards the castle in the distance, but towards the forest. Snowbells grew near the trunks of trees. Where wildflowers took over in the summer.