- Chapter 56 -

THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME, Grace's POV

Grace's POV.
———

Nana had thrown a blanket over me. White, old and used to be fluffy. The smell of her perfume strongly attached to the fibres, meaning it felt as if she were wrapped around me even when she was heating up some food in the kitchen.

I had left after the sound of the engagement announcement. A cheer of celebration inside bleeding out of the house, as I stood from the outskirts of it all.

Mr Parkinson had come out for a few enthusiastic puffs of a thick cigar. Woody in its scent, so fragrant I could taste it myself in the air.

Upon seeing the state of me, he apparated me home and told me he'd let Ramona know of my departure. Though very formal, for the first time since knowing him, I felt a warmth and protection in his presence.

And I was very grateful to no longer be at that bloody Manor House, surrounded by awful strangers who had lost themselves to traditionalism.

Nana stormed in, fuming, with a plate of real food in her hands. After hearing my stomach growl, it didn't take her long at all to decide I needed something more than a few posh bites of party food.

Her face was almost as red as her hair and a maternal fury was seething out of her at the mere state of me.

"Let me get this straight," she placed my dinner on the pop up table, in front of me.
"She did that to you?" She gestured to the brutal scaring that remained hidden underneath the blanket.

"I-" a large sob escaped my mouth, again.
"Yes but, no. It's - I think - it's from that night."

"Oh I'm furious." She stated the obvious and sat down on the opposite sofa. Her arms were folded, as well as her legs. The top one bouncing with the energy that had exploded within her.

I simply sat, teary eyed, staring at the food in front of me. Starved but too anxious to eat. I feared it would repeat on me, as everything else was.

"I'll contact her Mother."

"She's like twenty-something, Nana."

This new piece of information only seemed to make her anger worse. She spat out a puff of air laced with hate and looked even more venomous.

"Then I'll speak to her myself."

"You can't-"

"She can't just walk around doing that to people, Grace. Not to you. It's not on."