41

"So are your lines ready for the psychotic princess?" The Director questioned Yanner who had not prepared at all for the first act. But she sighed and nodded anyway.

The stage decorators pulled up a curtain dividing the stage into two parts one being the princess's room and the other royal hall as a throne was placed there. A large mirror hung on the princess's wall as she sat down on a beautiful red chair with a veil that covered her face. The woman didn't dare to look at her reflection since she came to this city. Being locked in her chambers for years the woman wasted half her youth drinking her miseries away as she heard the man she loved preparing troops to assassinate her father.

She was drinking wine when she heard a lovely woman announcing her presence in the throne room through the thin walls. The ministers discussed whether the prince should get engaged so that the military troops could be strengthened for the armies. The woman smiled in pain as she heard her beloved prince accepting the offer. Anything to fulfil his desire for revenge against her father. That was the last day he met her.

"My prince so finally you are taking a princess?" The drunk woman asked giggling. The prince sighed and embraced her to his chest.

"You are the only one I desire though", The prince claimed as he kissed her knuckles. The woman chuckled and shook her head.

"Lies. You are a liar, you desire nothing more than revenge", The woman whispered as she rested her head on his shoulder almost lovingly opposing her hateful words.

"Don't utter such harsh words my darling. I indeed want to seek revenge for my family-", The woman cut him off by pleading.

"Can't you choose me over revenge?"

"I can't Serah", He answered definitely and stood up to leave.

"I wish I never saved you", The woman harshly shouted as the door to her room slammed shut. And that was the last time the prince saw her. A month later he got married to the gorgeous woman Elzey and made her his princess.

Serah slowly turned into a phantom who lurked in the silhouettes of the couple. Gazing at them from behind the curtains as they laughed and fell in love slowly. She watched as he slowly transformed into a gentleman for her. And as the troops went south for war the princess became gravely ill.

Then a rumour spread that someone had cast a spell on her. That's when Sera's presence was known as the princess's lady in waiting threw Sera back into the dungeon with no food and water.

When the war ended the prince came back only to hear the news of her death in the dungeon and his wife giving birth to a beautiful daughter. The sickness was pregnancy all along. Prince went down there as he saw her corpse chained to the wall with a veil covering her face. On the pillar laid an empty coffin, as he lifted her veil he saw her burnt face with outstretched skin and slowly slid down to the floor. Then he heard her singing a song to him.

We have got this time with luck,
Stare at me with love one last time,
As maybe you might not get this night once again,
As maybe our story might end after this rhyme,
Hug me close to your heart,
Who knows if we will meet again?

Come closer to me,
As I might not stay with you forever,
Hug me close to your heart,
So I can hide my tears one last time,
Who knows if we will meet again?
As maybe you might not get this night again,
Claim me as yours one last time...

The drama ended with tears flowing down his face.

***

The phantom was a woman who suffered at the hands of her childhood lover, who chose his revenge over her. Leaving the women to wilt away in the palace with a broken promise as she watched from the sidelines her destruction. She wondered sometimes only if she had let him die in the fire and come back home. Because of her stubbornness, she sacrificed her life for a man who never loved her.

He only used her to lure her father into his trap for revenge. There was no love in his eyes as he took in someone else as his princess. She lost her beauty in the fire, she lost her father in his love and she lost herself in his palace.

She hoped he had loved her as she did. If only the man realised her sacrifices, would he notice how the woman was dying from the inside? She didn't die of starvation but by waiting for him in hope that someday he would come back to hold her in his arms as he did back then. When everything was alright in their childhood and he took care of her.

Only if she knew that in the burning mansion the young boy has long perished. And a power-hungry, revenge-craving aristocrat was born who had watched his parents being assassinated and ultimately burning to death. He loathed her, but couldn't bring it in himself to kill her. As somehow she became his greatest obsession. He felt happy when she suffered, he enjoyed making love to the princess as Sera watched from the curtains. He knew of her presence, he could have released her but his selfishness couldn't.

During the gruesome war, he would hear her beautiful voice at night as he lay in the tent with multiple injuries.

As if there is a grievance concealed in your heart,
As if you had confessed your words through those eyes,
As if a lifetime has passed laying awake,
As if you have spent many nights waiting for me at the lake,
As if your heart has stopped beating but you are still alive,

Every time I meet her,
I feel it...
Every time I meet her,
I feel as if her eyes are asking me something,
Walking down the street often,
I sense it...
Walking down the street often,
I sense as if she discreetly gazes at me,
As if she discreetly gazes at me often,
As if she is trying to find the old me,
In one moment we called upon the suffering of a lifetime,
As if life has sped up since that moment,

As if there is a grievance concealed in her heart,
As if she had confessed her words through those eyes,
As if a lifetime has passed laying awake,
As if she had spent many nights waiting for me at the lake,
As if her heart has stopped beating but she is still alive...

***
Aahh only I know how much I struggled while writing this chapter. And still, somehow this chapter came out crappy.

I remember when I started this book last year in August, it was an adrenaline rush in me whenever I thought about updating. But now I realise how different the book and the experience of writing this book have turned out. The rough draft doesn't resemble the story anymore not even some characters who didn't even exist in the original story.

Over a year many things changed, including me. Being a college student now mobile screen triggers me a lot as all our books are pdfs. It wears me out and I sometimes wish smartphones weren't such a necessity. So that I could stay away from all the anxiety the mobile has brought me. Even though this book would have existed in the form of a doodle at the back of my books.