Chapter 37

Katniss's POV

I feel Peeta's lips on my jaw as he places a plate of cheesebuns down on the dining table in front of me.

"Breakfast is served," he murmurs into my ear, his lips tickling my earlobe. He gives my shoulders a quick squeeze before sitting down at the table as well. I grab a cheesebun, and as soon as my teeth sink into it, Peeta speaks again.

"Should we go check on how Raze and Ylja are doing today?"

"We probably should," I agree.

It's been four days since Ylja came, which makes it three days since Raze woke up, and we explained everything to him. They were both a little awkward at first, and Raze suddenly finding out that he was going to be a father in a month wasn't helping the situation.

We discuss Raze and Ylja a little bit more before entering our regular breakfast routine. We talk a little about the baby, Haymitch, the district, us in general, possible night terrors that might have awoken us in the night - if we want to talk about, that is - until we hear a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Peeta offers, rising from the chair, and walking out to the entrance.

"Oh hello my dear Peeta! Where's Katniss? I've missed my two favorite Victors so much!" I hear a familiar, high-pitched, Capitol accent say. What is she doing here?

"Hey, Effie. Katniss is in the dining room. We're kind of in the middle of breakfast. Why are you here? Is it important?" I hear Peeta ask.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to interrupt, but of course it's important! I mean, not to be rude or anything, but you know that I would never leave the Capitol unless it was important. Can I come in?"

"Sure," Peeta answers, and moments later, they join me in the dining room.

"Oh hi Katniss! Congratulations on the little one!" Effie squeals, and I shudder.

My back is turned to her, so it makes no sense that she would know about the pregnancy.

"How did you know?" I ask in a demanding tone, turning around so I can see her face. "Nothing can be kept a secret from the Capitol, darling," she beams, clearly not registering the anger in my face. "Mind if I sit? This is important."

I nod, and both Peeta and Effie sits down. Effie folds her hands and crosses her legs, and suddenly her bright expression from before has turned into a lot more serious one.

"Okay, my darlings," she starts, faintly sighing. "The pregnancy. The baby. The two Victors," she continues, now in a dramatic tone. "There is this tradition, that if a Victor becomes pregnant, they'll spend the last month of their pregnancy with their spouse in the Capitol, to assure a safe delivery of the baby. After that, there will be thrown a big celebration for the baby featuring all the biggest people in the Capitol, the mayor family of whatever district the baby is from, the family of the new parents and baby, of course and all the other Victors!"

"What? No!" I protest, but before I have even barely opened my mouth, Effie shushes me, and adds: "It's obligatory. You don't have a choice. The train leaves at noon, and Raze, Haymitch, your families, and the mayor family is coming with. I'll go tell the rest."

And before we can say anything else, Effie is gone.

"What about Hill.. uh, I mean Ylja?" Peeta asks. He looks completely lost in his own world, his thoughts somewhere else than Ylja.

"She's the least of our problems," I answer, my hand finding his. "What's wrong?"

"I.. I don't know if my family knows. The only one who does is one of my brothers. And, I don't know if he told the rest. In a way, I was hoping he did tell them, but I don't think he did... Oh my God, they'll find out from Effie!" He removes his hand from mine, and buries his face in his palms.