Chapter 9

Katniss' POV

Is this how he feels? I knew that he loved me, but I guess I didn't understand the intensity of his feelings. Oh, if only I could say something back. But, I don't understand my feelings towards him.

"Come on, don't cry, please, I can't take it," Peeta begs. I realize that my eyes are filled with tears. I blink them away, I let out a slight laugh.

"I'm sorry, I won't."

"Don't say sorry, I'm the one making you cry," he says, as he wipes a tear away with his thumb, which escaped my eye.

---

For a long time, we just stand in silence, so close to each other, that we share the same breath.

Peeta pulls away, walking towards the painting, looking at it.

"The wedding is tomorrow, right?" He asks, not looking at me.

"Yes," I answer.

He sighs deeply, and then says: "Katniss, I'm really sorry for how I've treated you this whole time. I just.. I can't take being your.. servant. And I'm sorry about the Gale thing, I'm just jealous. Jealous of him probably ending up getting you. But, I not that it isn't fair, since we're not even together."

"Peeta, don't say that. I don't know where I am. Not with you, not with Gale. Peeta, I don't know what love even is," I explain. It's nice to get that off my chest.

"So, you're unsure if you love me?" Peeta says, slightly turning his head to me, revealing a smile.

I don't want to have any more secrets for Peeta, so I say: "Yes. Actually, I think I do, I just don't know what love feels like yet. Give me some time, and I'll find out."

Peeta moves back to me, looking deeply into my eyes, and then he says:

"Do you think you think you love me enough to let me kiss you?"

"Yes," I whisper.

He looks at me, then at my lips, before crashing his onto mine. I instantly kiss him back.

My hands move past his neck, to the back of his head, playing with his hair. His hands slowly move up and down my back.

I feel so complete kissing him, but there is still something that's missing. Something making me question what I am doing. Why I am doing it.

Our lips follow each other, they're quite good at teamwork, may I point out. Fireworks are exploding inside of me, and I can feel that Peeta feels the same.

"Catnip?!" A voice I know far too well yells. And apparently Peeta does too, because he is the one breaking away from the kiss.

I turn to see Gale standing in the door.

He quickly makes his way over to us, and pushes Peeta away from me, causing Peeta to fall.

"Gale! What are you doing?!" I yell at him, helping Peeta stand up.

"Getting him of off you, that's what I'm doing!" Gale hisses.

"Gale, calm down! You're not acting like yourself! What has gotten into you?"

Peeta's face is a mix between confusion and anger.

"Peeta, go into another room, please," I say, not removing my eyes from Gale.

Peeta moves into the bedroom, leaving me alone with Gale.

"What the hell was that?!" I yell.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," Gale yells back.