Chapter 28

Katniss' POV
I walk out of the Victors Village, thinking about where I could find Gale. Last night, he said that I knew where I could find him, and it's a Sunday, so the woods would be my best guess.

---

When I reach our old spot, I instantly see Gale's back. That was pretty easy.

"Gale?" I ask quietly, not knowing what else to say. He turns, and his face brightens when he sees me.

"Catnip!" Not knowing how to react, I just smile. He comes over and pulls me in for a hug. I hug him back, but pull away before it gets too intimate.

"Heard you wanted to talk to me," I say, smiling a little bit, so he knows that I am not angry.

"How did you hear that?"

"I was upstairs."

"What do you mean?" Gale raises his eyebrows at me.

"Peeta's house."

"Wait, what?"

"When you came looking for me last night, I was with Peeta. He lied, beause I asked him to."

"Um, why?"

"Well, you kind of caught us off-guard, and I panicked. What did you want to talk to me about?"

"If what I heard was... True." He looks down at his feet, obviously uncomfortable.

"Yes, it is true," I answer.

"But I thought you didn't want to have children. Is it something Snow is making you do? Or Peeta?"

"No, it was a mistake. I wasn't forced into anything. The only good news is, that it might help convince the Districts for good."

"Okay. So, are you actually together with him now?"

"Yes."

"How did it happen?"

"Gale, it just happens."

"It's not because you feel guilty or bad for him, right?" Gale looks at me again, and the hurt in his eyes kills me.

"No. Gale, dont't do this. Please, don't start anything. Gale, I am married and pregnant. Okay?"

"Okay," he huffs.

"Gale, I still want us to be friends. Can we be that?"

"I guess. If it makes you happy."

"It does."

An awkward silence comes after that, where both of us are just standing, not knowing what else to say.

"Katniss?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I have one last kiss?"

"Gale, what?"

"Come on, like a last kiss to end a chapter in our lives."

"Gale, come on."

"What? Are you afraid of getting feelings for me?"

He got me. If I say no, it can seem like I am afraid of feeling something. If I kiss him, I am basically cheating on Peeta, even though I don't feel anything.

"Gale, plea-" Next thing I know, his lips are on mine. I gently push him away, and rush back to the fence and the District.

---

As I walk into the Victors Village, I keep rubbing my lips, trying to get the taste of ashes and minedust away. Ugh, why did Gale have to do that? I walk into Peeta's house, and I am hit by the smell of freshly baked goods. I decide to sneak in. I find Peeta in the kitchen, mixing some sort of batter. I sneak up on him from behind, and wrap my arms around his waist. He turns around, and leans in to peck me on the lips, but since I still haven't gotten the taste off my lips yet, I turn my cheek to him, and smirk when he pouts at me.