Chapter Thirty-one - A Queen

As I walked along the corridors following Cyrene, I felt a deep chill run through me. The only sound was the clicking of our heels on the stone floor and I let out a deep breath, my hands growing sweaty.

I wiped my hands down the sides of my dress as I felt the butterflies erupting in my stomach. I felt sick as we reached the doors to the ballroom and Cyrene turned to face me, gripping my hands with hers.

"Unfortunately you must enter here alone. I will go first and then you will follow. A slight warning, many of these witches have seen a failed erebus before and have roamed this world for centuries. They will not believe you are the one to finally accept this gift but do not lower yourself to them. They are just petty old crones, and they seem to think it should have been them to receive this power. Now, hold your head up high, you are not just the Erebus, you are a Queen. You are a lot more than that young scared little girl I met so long ago; you are raw power itself. Don't let them scare you from following your destiny".

I nodded as I smiled the fear disappearing. She was right, why was I scared of these people? I am a Queen, and a Queen bows for no one.

I have obliterated a battlefield, shattered a mountain, and killed a wraith. They should be the ones scared of me.

I smiled at her as I heard a harsh knock and silence echo from within the room. Cyrene clenched my hands tightly one last time as she turned to face the door,

"Presenting High Witch Cyrene Deamonne, daughter of Sirene Deamonne" a voice called as the doors opened and she entered her head held high, her green dress flowing behind her before the doors closed again with a deafening slam.

The voices were muffled as I tried to listen through the door before flicking my fingers, my power flowing around my head as it allowed me to hear clearly,

"My fellow Witches, and my special guests. We are here tonight to celebrate our key ritual and one of our most sacred nights."

"Tonight many young witches will reveal their colours and join their place within their clans, but more importantly it has been centuries, but an Erebus has entered once more. Into its strongest vessel yet, and the moonlight shall bathe on her tonight as we watch Hecate bless her granddaughter" I heard gasps and shuffles as I grimaced, great that's going to be a good start.

"Therefore I introduce to you, Lillian Silverback, the Silverback assassin, Queen of the North, Mate of the Original vampire, direct descendant of Hecate, the Erebus herself and the Queen that has been promise since the beginning of time".

And with that the doors opened in front of me, and I pushed myself forward, my heart pounding out my chest,

My feet moved of their own accord as I felt my body shut down in fear.

I could hear mumbling and whispers as I walked down the centre aisle of the room towards Cyrene at the top. I held my head high as my hands great sweaty and I kept my face stern and I walked confidently, not showing them my fear.

"You look gorgeous glowstick. Show them who you are and do not be afraid. You are our Queen" Damien whispered supportively in my mind as I felt my heart grow warm and confidence fill me as I stepped forward and I looked around making eye contact with the witches. I held my head held high as I climbed the steps to the top.

I felt all eyes on me as I stared back at them, I was not going to let them intimidate me, Damien was right. If the prophecies were true, I was their rightful Queen.

"Are you sure she is the Erebus Cyrene, I would hate to see another one fail at the union" a voice called out as a woman in a blue dress stepped forward, a small smirk on her lips as she looked me up and down in disapproval.