2 - Vegas

Venice's POV

Oh my God, what's going on? Am I...dead? Maybe it's a dream...one of those very well done.

I feel a persistent headache. I shouldn't feel pain in a dream though. I look for my pills in my bag, but I can't find them. I haven't had a strong headache in a while.

The serious boy sitting next to me in the car puts down the book he was reading, annoyed.

"Won't you stop moving? You are disturbing my concentration."

"Sorry, I'm looking for my painkiller."

He sighs then turns and takes a small plastic box out of his backpack.

"Take it."

"Do you take these pills too? Let me guess...some psychopath tried to poison you when you were a baby and the drug left side effects for the rest of your life..."

"No..." He makes a puzzled face "I only carry this because you have this problem and you always forget your pills and freaks out, disturbing my morning reading."

He tosses the box to me.

"How old are you, by the way?"

He frowns to me.

I frown to him back and swallow a pill. Much better.

"Seven."

"Why don't you call me P'Venice then?!"

"Respect."

"What do you mean? You should show some respect calling me Phi.

"I mean that you should earn my respect first."

Aish...damn...this boy is so annoying. He has an answer for everything. In a very rude way. Apparently, he despises me.

He turns to his book. It seems kind of advanced for a seven-year-old boy. In fact, he looks quite mature for his age.

The car stops in front of an elite school. But it's not my school. Not from my 'world', if I can say that. It's a mixed gender school.

I get out of the car feeling lost.

"You don't know where you have to go, do you?" Little petulant Vegas asks me.

I follow the boy in front of me. From the banner fixed in the entrance, it appears to be the first day of this term.

Do I have friends? Sure I have. I'm very popular at school.

"Father transferred us here this term in case you don't remember. He wants us to go to the same school as our cousins." He slightly turns his face to me.

"..." Of course I don't remember. I don't even know why I'm here talking with the little you!

"He wants us to follow their path." Little Vegas added in a serious and resentful tone.

"Where are they?"

"Follow the crowd." He pointed to a cluster of girls in front of a group of guys in the courtyard.

"Are they celebrities or something?" 

Maybe we are not from a mafia family...who knows?!

I can't see anything. I don't remember having this bunch of people after me...perhaps mostly in interschools sports tournaments. I study in a school for boys. Maybe that explains the difference in euphoria.

"Nah...teenagers and hormones... sometimes I feel like I'm in a jungle. When the time comes, I wish I could skip this stage of life. It's so pathetic."

"Wow, you're a bitter little guy, huh."

"..." He shrugs his shoulders at me, not caring much.

"How do you know this place so well?" 

"I memorized the blueprints of the buildings."

"What? For what? How did you get that?"

He flashed me a devilish smile.

"I like to know my surroundings. You must always be prepared."

"Prepared? For what?"

"Little young man..." An old lady approaches us calling for the little devil. "You should be in another building. It is not advisable to stay in the courtyard of older students."

Vegas bows to her politely.

"I'm sorry, Professor. I came with my brother. I'm a little lost. Could you help me get in my classroom, please?"

What a two-faced boy!

"Of course my dear." The old lady smiles tenderly at him. "And you, young man, do you know where your classroom is?" She asked me with a serious face.

"No, ma'am."

"I'm sure all students received a notice with this information." Scolded in my first day. Great. "What's your name?"

"Venice Theerapanyakul"

"Oh, you are in the same class that Kornwit Theerapanyakul".

"...Father...I mean... Kornwit, right?!...cool...I miss him."

But...isn't this insolent boy my father? They are so alike. Maybe it's another Kornwit.

"Speaking of him..." The old teacher opened a smile to an apparently self-confident boy who was accompanied by a group of 3 other boys and another legion of girls far behind. "Nong Vegas, escort your cousin Venice to the classroom."

"Is he Vegas too?" I asked Little Vegas with a confused face.

He sighed annoyed.

"I don't know if my name was the result of a lack of creativity or the result of an envious and subservient mind."

"Sub...what?!"

"Never mind. (in English). I'm getting out of here." Little Vegas slipped out of my side and disappeared.

That older Vegas looks at me with a smile on his face. Much like little devil Vegas's fake smile at the old teacher. I can tell.

"Hello, Venice! I'm glad you are here."

...