3 - Pete

Venice's POV

The teacher left us.

"Hey Vegas... is he your cousin too? Wow, you are the same, man." One of his friends said.

"Yeah... Venice is a cousin of one of the side families. His father is my father's cousin." he said, patting me on the shoulder.

I just nodded. So  we are not brothers here...Not a brother of this one, at least. I'm not from minor family. Phew...I don't think I could handle two brothers like Vegas...not like that little devil. 

I keep staring at the boy in front of me unable to get a word out.

"You don't talk much, do you?" His friends laughed.

"Leave him alone." He said and the others were silent. "Come on (in English), I'll take you to the classroom."

 I just let him lead me down the hall.

I don't know what I'm feeling right now. The little devil hasn't had as much of an impact on me as his older version. Maybe because this one looks more like my adult father. I feel a certain comfort that he is with me now. One of his arms wrapped around my shoulders, as if taking care of me. I feel safe inside this sort of unusual dream.

On second thought, he actually looks pretty cool. He doesn't look as bad as uncle Tankhun says he was by this age. 

But I'm confused. Why are there two Vegas in this parallel world? In this dream? In this 'somewhere' ?

Getting close to the classroom, a group of students is formed in front of another classroom, from the last year.

Boys and girls surround a handsome, well-groomed boy who converses with another boy, more laid-back but with an impeccable face. I feel Vegas's fist close tight around my shoulder, inconsistent with the normal tone of his words.

"Hey Kinn, look who I've found. Little Venice." Vegas says, approaching the two guys.

Ow! This is Uncle Kinn!

They looked at each other oddly, with a smile that isn't a smile. It's contempt.

Uncle Kinn...I mean, P'Kinn looked at me and smiled affably.

"We haven't seen each other in a while. How is your father, Venice?"

"Oh, hi P'Kinn!...uh...my father, you ask?...uh...he is okay...I guess...haha"

Vegas takes the opportunity to chat with the other handsome guy. They laugh and chat excitedly, which seems to displease P'Kinn, who abruptly steps between them.

The signal rings.

"Shouldn't you go into your classroom, Vegas?"

"Shouldn't you, Kinn? They look at each other fiercely.

"Kinn, let's go inside. The signal has already rung. The handsome boy holds P'Kinn's arm.

They keep staring at each other, none going back.

"Hey, Kinn, you should listen to your bodyguard. Who's the master after all? Porsche? One of Vegas' friends teases P'Kinn.

Ow! That's uncle Porsche! Why does it feel like I can't remember anyone's faces?!

Others laugh.

"I am." Suddenly P'Kinn reaches for the boy's neck and squeezes.

Those who were laughing get silent, including Vegas.

P'Kinn loosened the boy's red neck and turned to the classroom door.

The boy, humiliated, threatens to hit P'Kinn in the back.

Suddenly a skinny boy appears out of nowhere, pulling the boy by the arm and throwing him to the ground, immobilizing him by pressing the boy's neck with his knee.

"Holy shit!" I unintentionally let it out, impressed. People look at me.

"Pete...release him." P'Kinn gave the order.

What a minute! Stop this world from spinning.  Did you say PETE? My Dad Pete? Wow! And I thought my father Vegas was the badass. Haha...awesome!

The skinny boy stood up while the other boy was gasping for air, helped by his friends. 

"Do not interfere in such matters in the future." 

"I apologize, Khun Kinn." He bowed to P'Kinn.

I understand the reason...mafia heir pride bullshit, but I felt like punching uncle Kinn. I mean, my dad just tried to keep him from taking a low blow. 

Are Dad and uncle Porsche uncle Kinn's bodyguards? Like...teenager bodyguards?That's new...that's different.  

I notice Dad holds a bandaged hand. He looks like he's in pain. His face also looks bruised with a bandage near his mouth. I can barely recognize him. I wonder what happened to him. I want to check if he is okay.

I take a step closer to him, but suddenly Vegas pulls me by the arm to enter the room.

They don't seem to take notice of each other.

As the teachers were approaching, the crowd dispersed, and we entered the classroom. We are a year behind P'Kinn and P'Porsche who entered the senior year classroom.

I've lost sight of my Dad...I mean...skinny boy Pete.

...