2• 2012 Flash Back

|Lou

-2012 flashback

I was betrayed by a business partner whom I considered a good friend, I never thought that he'd run away with the money from the investors, along with the project we worked so hard on. It was a huge blow to my company and we experienced a rough time. We're now struggling to get back on track.

And now I'm here in New York to meet with my friend Leslie. We've originally met in a competition in LA and been friends since then. I know her capabilities and I want to invite her to be part of my elite team. She's the most qualified person for the job and she's my trusted friend, so if needed, I'm willing to beg her to work with me.

"Leslie, I'm in New York. I'm coming to see you."

"Lou! Stop calling me that!" she growls.

"Okay! Nine, but I'm on my way," I said with a smirk. She really hates it when I call her by her real name.

"Not home, I'm in my bar. C'mere."

"On my way," I said and I ended the call.

Making my way through the usual dense New York traffic. New York streets are wild. Construction is about 5 blocks away, next to a busy loading dock, and some people on bikes move through traffic like it's the rainbow road. Multiple vehicles in the opposing lane and in front of me. "What a busy road," I muttered while reaching for the volume of my car speaker. Now playing "Sofia" by Clairo.

| I think we could do it if we tried
If only to say you're mine
Sofia, know that you and I
Shouldn't feel like a crime

You know I'll do anything you ask me to
But oh my God,
I think I'm in love with you
Standin' here alone now,
I think that we can drive around
I just wanna say how I
Love you with your hair down
Baby, you don't gotta fight,
I'll be here 'til the end of time
Wishin' that you were mine,
pull you in, it's alright-

"Oh... to be in love and have my own Sofia." She thought.

Unbeknownst to her, she will meet someone tonight who will alter the course of her life forever.

Lou reaches 9's BAR. She makes her way over to the bar. Eyes scanning the room. It's crowded and warm. There are plenty of people dancing, laughing, and chattering on the tables spread all around. Too many pulsating lights and the sounds are good.

And she finds Nine quickly - not a difficult task. She's in her signature dreadlocks hairstyle. The hair is pulled back and tied with a thick scarf. Keeping a few hair extensions at the front. Looks somewhat like a combination of bohemian and classic chic look. She's behind the counter, preparing cocktails.

"Hey Nine," I greeted with a huge grin. Sinks on the high chair near the counter, scanning everyone again.

"Yeah. How was it?"

"Uh hmn... the bar was nice. But why are you-

"I fired one of my bartenders last night that's why I'm here now making cocktails. Martini for you?"

"Yeah, sure. So about my proposal, I assume-"

"C'mon Lou, you just came here, the night is still young. Just enjoy yourself. We can talk about work in the morning."

I knew better than to argue with her. "Okay. Got it," I reply in a low voice. Sipping my martini leisurely.

"She's hot," Nine comments with a smug grin, following my gaze.

I blinked and looked at her quickly, clearing my throat.

"What, who?"

"The girl you haven't taken your eyes off from the moment you set foot into my bar."

Picking up my drink and taking a sip, "I wasn't staring," I insist, gulping my second glass of martini. I focused on the bitterness and warmth running down my throat to distract myself.

"Sure you weren't," Nine agrees, rolling her eyes.

I can't help looking at her. That brunette sitting at the corner of the bar is absolutely stunning. She's sitting on a bar stool alone, nursing a drink with a bored expression on her face. She didn't seem to be paying any particular heed to those around her. Her long hair fell freely over her shoulder. Her bangs highlighted her beautiful eyes and cheekbones. She's wearing blue jeans, and a cropped leather jacket. She utterly captivated me.

"Why don't you go over?"

"No, nope, I'm here for you. I can't afford distractions," I answered simply.

She chuckled, "Oh what a waste. I just wanted to see if your charm would work on her, and if you could tame this Debbie Ocean."

"You know her?"

"Yeah. She's a regular. She's certainly not an easy nut to crack."

"Hmn. . . Debbie Ocean, interesting-

Their conversation was interrupted by the commotion. She quickly turned her head in the direction of where it was coming from and they saw a group of guys arguing with one of the servers. They are getting louder.

Nine immediately hops over the counter and approaches the table to see what the fuss is all about. I groaned internally as I set my glass down and got up from my seat to follow Nine.

One of the guys was drunk as fuck shouting and yanking the collar of the server and about to punch her. I can't help it. I can't just watch a person getting hurt in front of me, so I grabbed him and tried to land a good uppercut on him. He was startled. He wasn't expecting that.

"Who the fuck are you?" he shouts, holding his stomach. And I punch him hard on the face, hard enough for the man to drop down. "Lou Miller, your fucking nightmare."

I was about to turn and look at the server when someone throws her body at me. A brunette with long hair. Her bangs is covering her sparkly big brown eyes. The curved cheek bones, and a well defined jawline is a work of art. The slightly parted lips make me swallowed down a gulp of air. "Pulchritude," I unknowingly muttered.

Could you hear the sound of jaw dropping? I wondered with some fragments of my brain that still functions. Our eyes met and I swear I forgot how to breathe. Damn she's too fine to be a real person.

She closed her eyes, something was not right. The way she kept holding onto my suit, almost as if she didn't have the strength to stand still by her own. I can feel her body becoming limp. I curled up my limbs around her weakening figure and instantly caught her before she could fall down onto the floor.

Blood starts flowing. "Blood! Fuck!!!" I shout nervously, my heartbeat was raising. "No... no, no, baby open your eyes."

That's when I realized she saved me.
I didn't notice the other guy pulling a knife out from beneath his dark coat and about to stab me when she covered me with her body. She saved me.

As soon as my gaze met Nine, I shouted at her asking her to call an ambulance which she immediately did before approaching me and trying to help.

Later that night, I found out that saving me wasn't the intention of the brunette. She was too drunk to walk by herself. And stumbled upon me while looking for her friend Tammy, whose busy making out with her boyfriend in the corner of the bar.

***