28• If I could do it over.

//"Claude? What made you call?" 

"I heard you are still in LA."

"Hmm, yeah why?"

"Do you have an engagement this evening?"

"Why? You'll invite me out?"

"There's this... I was invited to this private event and I was wondering if you would be willing to be my guest tonight."

"The media will have a feast once they see us together again," she jested.

"Let them be, we're both single anyway."

"I am not," she murmured barely audible.

"What?"

"Nothing. What time was it? Can I come with Tammy? 

"It's eight. Of course, then I'll pick you two up in an hour?"

"Sure."//

"Why do you want a chaperone on your date Miss Ocean? You wouldn't see a soul except for your clients and now you want me to come with you on your night out with Claude?"

"It's not a date Tammy. Just come with me. I'm afraid I'll be out of control again once I get drunk. So I need a driver."

"Why not let Claude drive you home?"

"I can't let a man drive me home when I know I'll be drinking."

"Afraid you'll throw yourself at him once you get drunk? He's single. What's wrong with that? Stop living like a nun Debbie."

"He is but I am not." She mumbled while staring at the wedding band on her finger. "And we both know I'm far from being a nun."

"It's been five years. You still wear that? You told me Lou was dating someone now. Why don't you loosen up a little and try it with Claude? Look he's smart, handsome, he's loaded and he definitely likes you." Tammy turns to face her and holds her hands. Don't you think it's about time you forgive yourself? Lou's history now."

Claude was indeed a nice man and a good company. He's good looking too, but he wasn't her Lou. Debbie chuckled. "Shall I take it off then?" 

Tammy sighed as she looked at Debbie and gave her a dismissive shrug. You're hopeless. I bet you didn't even listen to a word I said. "You know what. Just get changed. Your date will be here any minute from now."

Once Tammy was out of sight, Debbie took off the wedding band that Lou gave her. She put it on a thirty-inch snake chain and wore it around her neck. 

•••

"Hey, you two go ahead. I'll follow you later. I'll just take this call. It's my husband," Tammy said once they stepped out of the car.

Satisfaction ran through Claude as he surveyed the woman in front of him. She's clad in an amethyst-colored wispy chiffon strapless dress. Her brunette locks are pinned loosely with a few strands of her soft curls falling down her face. A smug grin spreads across his face as he walks through the hallway because he is accompanying the prettiest woman at the gala.

 A smug grin spreads across his face as he walks through the hallway because he is accompanying the prettiest woman at the gala