29• Should I stop hoping for us?

When Debbie wakes up, she's in a hospital bed hooked to an IV drip bag. Tammy was sitting in a chair next to her. She'd fallen asleep with her head on the bed.

"Tams" she shakes her a few times to wake her up.

"You're awake, you bitch," Tammy said as soon as she opened her eyes.

"Why am I here?" I'm not sick. Let's go back."

"Don't you dare Deborah! You had no idea how nervous I was when you passed out. You'll give me a heart attack. Don't you feel bad for my kids?"

There she's at it again being dramatic. What did I ever do to her kids that they get involved in this conversation? "Stop exaggerating and help me with this." She said attempting to remove the needle in her hands.

"For fucks sake Deborah. For once in your damn life listen to me! Stay here you needed rest." Tammy hissed.

"Fine. Fine, I'm not leaving so stop shouting. You're too noisy." I have to agree because I felt like she'd kill me right there and then if I protested.

"Just stay for the night." I'll stay with you. Okay?"

"No way! I'll stay here, but you're returning to our hotel room and getting a good night's sleep. There's no way in hell I'll let you watch me while I'm sleeping here. That's creepy."

"You're nuts. Would you be fine?"

"Of course, I'm not a baby Tammy."

"Okay. I'll come back tomorrow to pick you up. And don't cause any more trouble, you psycho!"

"Asshole!"

"Call if you need anything okay?"

"Tams."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

Tammy looked at her and smiled. "Sleep now. If you get hungry there's food in the fridge."

As soon as Tammy left her room, she stood up from her bed, took the IV pole for support, and made her way into the lift.

You know those scenes in dramas where the patient just wants to die? They climb onto the rooftop of the hospital and wait for someone to save them. Anyone that can hear their last cry. Right now, those are the thoughts running through her head. Not that she's thinking of doing it. She just wanted some air.

Debbie watched as the small LED screen showed the floor as the numbers moved from floor to floor. The elevator stops and the sliding door opens.

As she walked out of the lift she felt the coldness of the night seeping in through the thin fabric of her hospital gown. She walked towards the edge and looked up at the view of the night sky. The darkness of the night surrounds her. The stars are nowhere to be seen. She chuckled thinking even the stars were hiding from her too.

And suddenly...

Arms are wrapped around her. It's warm. It felt so good that she hoped time would just stop, stay still so she wouldn't have to look back and check whoever it is that dared to touch her without her permission. So she wouldn't need to pretend to hate it despite the comfort she was feeling at that moment. Yet whoever it is up there never listens to her silent pleas. And she blurted out without turning back, "who the fuck are you?"