41• Haven't we suffered enough?

"Debbie, are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"Don't worry he can't harm me Tams, but I'm not okay. I felt like talking to him drained out my energy."

"Do you want me to call Lou to take you home? She knows you are with Alex. She's the one who told me where you are."

Debbie's chest clenched. "No. Don't tell her. I can't face her. "Not like this, not in this moment when I felt like I'd been slapped with the truth." She pressed her forehead against her temple as if to relieve the frustration she felt. "And since she saw us, meeting Lou now surely isn't going to end well."

"Why didn't you tell her Debbie? She needs to know what really happened that night. You could have told her."

"She doesn't have to know, she doesn't have to be reminded of that night. And what's the use? Do you think she'll come back to me the moment she hears about it? I doubt that. Alex was right. She didn't love me enough to fight for me back then, and now she's with my step-sister. We just weren't meant to be together."

Tammy wanted to take her home, but she refused. Someone needs to be left at the party on her behalf so Tammy stayed and she go home alone. But not before she left Nine's number.

"Call her, Lou might get drunk. She'll take care of her."

"Okay. But I think your blonde is already drunk Debbie."

She wished that Lou won't come home tonight and just stayed with Nine. She couldn't look in Lou's direction when she left the party. The hell she didn't even know how to face her nor talked to her because that conversation with Alex reminded her again of the old memories. The self-loathing, all the regrets, and the pain she had been through because of that stupid night she doesn't even remember came flooding back to her. Debbie just wanted to be alone. To sulk? Or maybe drank herself to death?

She was thinking about what Alex said, about Lou, about the mess she was in. Alcohol didn't help take her mind off that. What were you thinking? That the two days you're alone with Lou would magically make her fall in love with you. Again? And tomorrow... yeah tomorrow, she'll be back in her girlfriend's arms.

Debbie stepped outside the balcony and stretched her arms over the railings while holding a glass of whiskey and enjoying the darkness below. The house was empty, just dead silence and she was alone like always, drinking away her pain. She let out a deep exhale and downed the remaining amber liquid in her glass in one gulp. She closed her eyes and felt the burn in her throat as the liquid ran down.

The brunette walked towards the table behind her to pour herself another glass and then she saw her. Lou. She was leaning against the frame of the door, arms folded and she was watching her.

"I waited for you."

Her tone was cold. Debbie held the urge to walk towards her, touch her face and tell her she had missed her. "You did? I'm sorry I had to leave urgently. I should have told you before I left."

"Why?"

"Huh?"

"Why did you leave me?" There was the slightest whine in Lou's voice. And Debbie aches to kiss those rosy cheeks caused by the alcohol she drank.

"I... uh." I don't know how to face you.

"Because of Alex? Did you two already make up after the fight over Cardano last week? Did he send you home early after a quick bang?"