27• Some things just never change

pulchritude
(n.) describes a heartbreaking,
breathtaking form of physical beauty.

***

Three days passed before Debbie received a call from Lou's secretary.

And today she was in Lou's company again. Instead of going with Tammy, she decided to meet her alone. Tammy suggested it saying the two needed alone time to talk, not just about work but about themselves. Upon reaching the top floor, the secretary escorted her into Lou's office.

"She has an appointment outside so she'll be a little late. The boss instructed us to let you in. You can wait here," Pamela explained politely.

"Sure." I can wait. What's with a few minutes or hours? I waited for three days. Hell, I've been waiting for her for five long fucking years.

She wasn't able to admire the office the first time she came barging in but now she can freely scan the room. The floor-to-ceiling window allows the natural light in. Debbie stand up from her seat and walked towards the glass wall. She looked outside, taking in the mountain and city views. The sun is drifting in through the large window. She closed her eyes as she breathed in the warmth of the sun.

This is her natural environment. Here at the top of this building overlooking the city. With money and power and wealth and privileges. Where she reigns. The woman who has been with her for five long years. Had been her best friend and wife. The woman whom I know nothing about.

The unwanted thoughts kept on lingering in her mind. Unconsciously her right hand was raised across her chest. Trying to calm herself down. Don't you dare break down here Deborah Ocean! She muttered under her breath, her eyes still shut.

Pulchritude. Lou whispered. After entering her office and seeing Debbie's face lit by the sunlight coming through the window. The same word she uttered the first time she saw her ten years ago.

Her eyes were closed so Lou could freely scan Debbie's features. Her long hair was loose and the only accessories she wore were a pair of large gold octagonal earrings. She looked perfectly fine in a white long-sleeve collared shirt. Tucked into black pants accentuating her slender waist.

"Enjoying the view?" Lou murmured as she walked towards Debbie.

Debbie turned to face Lou at the same time Lou removed her glasses. Their eyes met; Ocean blues with her brown, the shade of the sea and the sky with the color of the earth. And she wished Lou had just kept her sunglasses on.

"You're here."

"Yeah, I'm sorry I'm late. I had an appointment outside and—

"It's fine. I didn't wait long."

"Have a seat." Lou motioned Debbie on the leather seat in front of her.

"Fancy a drink? Tea or maybe coffee?" she asked once they were both seated.