3• The Friends

|Debbie

I was busy reviewing the reports for the company we are planning to add to our investment portfolio, when I heard a loud noise, a loud voice actually calling my name. Damn Tamera not again. I sighed.

"Deborah Ocean!", Tammy called loudly as if we were kilometers apart.

She's my childhood friend and my Executive Assistant. A married woman with a child and have a successful business of her own from the suburbs. But I dragged her here because I needed someone I could trust. And I am more than thankful she agreed to work with me. She's one of the few I truly trust here.

"What the hell Tamera can you lower your voice? We're in my office!"

"Who cares when you're the owner's daughter?" she hissed.

"So what do you want now?"

"What's this about you and Lou?" She giggles.

"What?" I asked not making sense of what she was talking about.

"Your father asked me about the relationship between the two of you."

"And?"

"And I told him you two are so married. I mean so in love."

"Alright, and next time he asks, tell him we're getting married."

"Whaat?" she said exasperatedly. "Oh my God Debbie, and you never told me?"

"Yes we're getting married Tammy and if that's all, then you may leave, because as you can see I have a pile of work to finish. And can you call Lou, and tell her we will reschedule the meeting with CK. I need to check something first before we sign a contract with them."

"Lou? Oh, she just left, said she'd pick up her friend from the airport. I think she'll be taking the day off."

"And why am I not informed about this?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"You're in your father's office when she leaves, so she just asked me to tell you."

"I wonder who that friend is. She didn't mention anything to me. Never mind, I'll just ask her when I return home."

"That's not what matters. Now tell me, when are you two planning to get married? Who proposed? How?"

"Tam, you know it's 10:20 AM, and we'll be meeting with the executive at 10:30 AM, right?"

"Oh shit!" Okay, ma'am, I'll prepare the materials that you need, but we're going to return to this conversation and you are going to spill the beans okay?"

"Jesus... you're hopeless, just leave."
"Okay boss. I'm off," and she disappeared from my sight.

It's been a week since I asked Lou to marry me. I'm still not sure if she's serious about agreeing with that ridiculous marriage proposal. Who in her right mind would agree on marriage out of whim, And a fake relationship at that? Only Lou. I smiled at the thought of her, my twisted, lunatic best friend.

* * *

The meeting was supposed to end 10 minutes ago and it's lunchtime. And I'm fucking hungry and about to flip this goddamn table when Tammy, shot me a knowing look grinning. She knows me too well, and she knows how agitated I am at moment.

It was 11:20 when the meeting finally ended and my gaze drifted to Tammy.
All of them moved to the next room where lunch was being served while I stayed back. I don't want to have lunch with these self-righteous executives.
"You're too worked up, I was surprised that you didn't blow fire and transformed into your dragon form while we're in the meeting," she said while laughing.