Manipulation

Fun Fact: Takano calls Kai 'Mini-Boss' because Kai doesn't like being called boss, it makes him feel old

~

'I told you not to wear that dumb jacket.' Terugo glared.

Kai flinched, and he tightened his grip on his mother's jacket. 'I... Like it though.'

'And? Take it off.'

Kai looked sad, but complied and peeled the jacket off. He tied it around his waist.

Terugo glared some more, 'Off.'

Kai frowned and looked down, but yet again agreed silently and untied it.

'Great now put it on the couch and leave it there. I don't want to see you touching it again. Understand?'

Kai nodded slowly, sitting on the carpet.

'You clearly don't know how manipulation works.'

Maybe Garaki was right, should he be more caring to him? Manipulation tactics could work. Or would they? It has been nine years. 'Go ahead.' He decided. He'd still make his hatred clear, but it may be easier to get him to do as he told if he acted slightly less bitchy.

'I'm sorry?'

'Put it back on if you want. I don't care, it's just a jacket.'

Kai's eyes lit up, 'Thank you.' He said.

Terugo nodded and got back to his... Work.

He wasn't working, at all. He was texting Dazi. He wanted to see him again, he only saw him a few days ago, but he really wanted to see him again. Kai knew his father wasn't working, he had books on his desk, but he had his phone in his hand and kept giggling from time to time.

'Kai, would you run away if I took you out to eat?'

'I... No?'

'Excellent~'

~

Kai shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He wasn't used to Father being so nice, he let him put his jacket back on, he's taking him out to eat, and he hasn't done so much as raised his voice once today. He wasn't used to this.

'Did... I do something good?' Kai asked.

If he lied would that still count as manipulation? Yes, he decided. It would. 'Yes, you haven't been a bother all day! And you've been very obedient. This is simply a reward for good behavior!'

Kai looked shocked, 'So... I really did do something good? This isn't a manipulation tactic?' His last question was asked slowly, as if he just couldn't believe he was capable of doing something his father would want to reward.

'Fuck. The child is smart.' Terugo laughed, 'Of course not! Why would it be?'

'Well... I've read a lot of books on mental health. I figured Eri might have some trauma from being abandoned by her mother and accidentally killing her father.' He held his hands close to his chest, right over left. 'I wanna know how to take care of her. There was an entire eight-page chapter on how to deal with manipulation trauma.'

'Fuck time two the child is really smart.' Terugo smiled, hopefully reassuringly, at Kai. 'No need to fret, it's not. Just a reward for good behavior. Promise!' He lied.

Kai nodded, slowly becoming more comfortable with the idea of being at a restaurant with Terugo.

He remained silent for a while before whispering, 'Thank you... Father.'