Assigned Seat

Walking into the class I grumble seeing everyone stood up as the teacher pulls up the new seating chart onto the board "this is so dumb" I mumble in annoyance to my friend and she snorts back a laugh "I know, but you'll be fine, I wish we could just be seated together all the time" I hum walking a little closer to the board to find my name as he gets it on "oh no," I frown "oh! my people aren't that bad, I mean I talk to one, what about you?" I look at her giving her a look "good for you" I grumble "Colby, Jake, and Tara" she makes a face "alright, get in your seats so we can get started" the teacher announces "good luck, Tara's not so bad sit next to her" I nod walking over to the back left table it being laid out with two rectangular tables pushed together to form a square, two seats on each side so I take the seat on the back left.

"Alright! Starting this new chapter is easy," I let his voice become background noise as I pull out my notebook and math book. Turning to a fresh page of my notebook I allow myself to scribble mindlessly onto it. Hearing a whisper I glance up seeing Colby and Jake whispering to each other, my eyes falling down to Colby's arm as he nudges the other boy and I see his head motion towards me. Becoming anxious as they seem to be talking about me I tense in my seat and stare at my paper trying to hear what they are saying "he is, right?" I feel my palms begin to sweat and I let out a small breath sitting up straight "yeah, for sure" Jake answers before they both laugh making me grow even more nervous knowing they're possibly making fun of me.

Feeling a tap on my foot I move it back feeling myself grow hot, glancing up I see Colby smile only causing me to become more anxious "alright! the rest of the class is yours to work through these problems from page 64 to 66, excluding problems 3, 7, and 8. If you have any questions feel free to ask me for some help, otherwise the time is yours." Chatter fills the room as each table group disperses into their own conversations.

Opening my book as the three talk I ignore them as I situate myself "alright," I look up as he speaks seeing as he turns his head to me and he glances at my things "what's your name?" he asks as he looks up at me as a smile tugs on his lips "uh," I stutter knowing he most likely knows already seeing as my name was on the board while the seating chart was up there "Sam" I tell him he hums before he looks down at his paper "the fuck are we doing again?" shaking my head slightly as I look down to my own book I ignore Tara as she explains, reading the first problem.

The group work is quickly turned into Jake and Colby being idiots as per usual while Tara tries to keep them on track but not going as wanted. Giving up she turns to me and laughs slightly "just ignore them they're always like this," I laugh softly nodding my head "did you finish this one problem?" I nod "uh yeah, I already started on the next one" I say, slightly pushing my notebook for her to see "oh shit, okay" she laughs looking at how I solved it and writing it down. Whilst she does that my gaze falls onto Jake and Colby again watching as they argue about god knows what. I place my chin in my palm, looking at my math book whilst Tara finishes up using my notebook, letting out a soft sigh as I realize this next month or so is going to be long seeing as I've been seated with a chaotic friend group.

- days later

The class goes by achingly slow, the period being a longer hour due to it being block day, being granted with a short class yesterday but then doomed today, being stuck in the class for far too long.

I've learned that my group isn't so bad, however I would rather sit somewhere else. The only good thing about sitting with them is that I get free entertainment despite not even interacting with them much unless I'm directly spoken to, still only muttering small sentences due to not being very social.

I roll my eyes in annoyance as Colbys feet overlap mine when he leans back, stretching his legs out. I pull them back, glancing up at him with a subtle glare, he seems to be always bumping my feet. Colby smiles at me, glancing under the table and not long do I feel him touch my foot with his- playing footsie. I drop my pencil and look at him fully "stop it" I say, gently nudging his foot back and pulling mine away "oh, c'mon. Your no fun" he doesn't say it seriously as a smile spreads across his face "you never talk! All you ever do is your dumb work like a lame loser nerd" I scoff "well- excuse me for not wanting to be here" I grumble "your annoying" I let out earning laughs from Jake and Tara, Jake hitting Colbys shoulder as he repeats my words- making fun of him.