heavy hearts

"You're sure you got everything?" My mother asks again, I roll my eyes letting out a soft chuckle "yes, mom. If your so worried why couldn't I have just stayed at home by myself? I can take care of myself y'know" I say as I unbuckle my seatbelt "you know why, Colby. Now go before we're late to the airport, if you forgot something that is really needed you have the key to go get it, but we rather you not do that as home is aways from here" My father says and I hum, reaching over and grabbing my backpack full of my necessities "we'll be back in a month or so, and please, don't give your grandmother so much trouble, okay?" I hum looking at my mom as she reaches out and grabs my hand "I love you, Colbaby" I smile, leaning over and planting a kiss to her cheek "love you" I murmur, finally stepping out of the car, grabbing my duffle after slipping my backpack on my shoulders.

"Bye, son."

I wave at them, watching as they pull out of the driveway, I blow a heavy raspberry, turning to the house I'm going to be staying in for the month ahead of me whilst my parents go on their business trip.

Knocking at the door, it's soon opened rather quickly "Cole! Baby you've grown so much!" I chuckle, gently wrapping my arms around my grandmother "come in, come in, no need to be a stranger, your grandfather is in the living room. Would you like something to eat?" She rambles on and on, seemingly to be able to burst out into more words if I don't answer soon.

"No thank you, I'm okay" she hums, shutting the door "I think I'm going to lay down for a little" "oh of course! You must be so tired, you know where the room is, go on, please." She beams, grabbing my cheeks and kissing my forehead, I grumble quietly gently pushing her off of me.

Getting to the guest room I sigh, dropping my bags and kicking off my shoes. Slumping into the mattress I sigh heavily, I don't want to be here, I hate it here. I love my grandparents but I'd much rather be at my own home. I know how to take care of myself, I already clean and cook so how difficult can it be doing that for the time being? Not like I won't be doing any of that here.

I groan dropping my phone besides me forgetting they don't have internet and it's just so convenient that my data has run out and I don't have the money on me to pay it as I had to take a break off my job for being here. I huff out a breath, rolling onto my side.

What am I gonna do?

-
There's a knock at the door but I don't bother to go get it, watching the random channel that's displayed on the TV with my grandfather, he doesn't do much but spend time in here, I don't know how he does it, it's boring.

"Robert, honey, look! Marie is here!" My grandmother exclaims happily, my aunt entering next to her "ah, hi sweet pea" he grins, standing up to greet her, I smile slightly turning back to the tv allowing them to talk.

"Colby," I look up hearing my name "I came for him, actually, Pam needed me to talk to him about something" I roll my eyes knowing exactly what this is about, and quite honestly, I hate it "hmm okay, want some tea? I can make some for you guys."

I soon find myself sat at the dining table, my aunt sat across from me, my grandmother carefully walking in with a pot of tea, pouring some into our cups before placing it down next to the plate of cookies she's also brought us.

"So, you do know why she sent me here, yes?" I hum, nodding my head "I just- I don't understand why I need to go, I'm just going to be gone after a month. It's stupid." She sighs, nodding her head "I know Colby, but it's good for you to get a good education still, your parents just don't want you here doing nothing with your life. Besides, my school is great, Colby. It's a great chance to make new friends and go out and do something fun while your here." I nod slowly- she's the principal of the school of this town, my parents had spoken to her prior to their trip to get me in for the time being.