butterflies

He watched as they became strangers to friends, to almost lovers.

He hadn't expected to be ghosted so suddenly, he was in denial, surely he's just been busy, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

He also watched his almost lover slip out of his grasp just before they could be something more.

He was faced with the worst possibility that he wished wasn't true, he walked into school like any other day. His mission was to find Sam and ask him what was going on, he had suffered all weekend with no word from him. His calls never went through and he began to worry he may have blocked him or something of the sorts, his texts were even green rather than the blue color and he tried not to worry about it too much as it has happened before due to problems with his phone so, he hoped for the best and didn't let it bother him too much.

However, when going the remembered path to Sam's locker instead of finding him alone he finds him stood with another boy. His steps came to a halt and he stands in horror as Sam looks up at the boy with the look he always gave him. His heart shattering in his chest upon watching the boy dip down and press a kiss to his cheek, Sam's sweet giggle he loved with his whole heart able to be heard despite the distance between them.

He swears he can feel his heart crumble and fill with hurt at the view, knees wobbling in betrayal.

The bell rings but he doesn't move, he can't move, body jerking gently as bodies of students push past him. His eyes stuck on the pair as they walk the opposite direction of him, their hands linked together.

And, the worst part about it is that Colby can't be hurt by this; they were never together.

--

Colbys phone screen soon isn't the only thing lighting against his face, the sun making an appearance finally in his restless night, phone held gently in his grasp, charger tangled around his arm as it's stuck in his phone.

The contents his phone presents to him going blurry from his tears as he reads old texts that he and Sam shared, he misses him and it's almost pathetic as it's been a week now and he's still hung up on a boy that was never his but, he can't help it. not when he was planning to finally ask him to be his.

He was kept up, wondering where he went wrong. The more he thinks about it the more he comes to realize he was oblivious to the way Sam distanced himself for a few days before going completely MIA.

His body jolts as his alarm blares through the quiet room and he grumbles as he hits dismiss and throws his exhausted body up, legs over the edge of his bed. A frown is plastered on his face as he stares at the wall before him, eyes heavy with sleep as they hold unshed tears accompanied by dark circles, further revealing his tired state.

Finally, he stands making a beeline to his closet and tugging down a shirt, pulling the fabric over his head, it falling down to cover his once naked top. He doesn't bother changing his sweats as he grabs a pair of socks.

-
Going down the stairs not caring to do anything else with his routine besides brushing his teeth before he's making way to the lower floor.

"Woah- dude, you look like shit" the brunette scoffs at his brothers comment, brushing past him with no words as he rummages a cupboard for a granola bar "you might wanna.. y'know," he gestures to the messy mop on his head.

"Yeah fuck off. Do you need a ride or not?" Colby grumbles, fingers clawing at the wrapper of his breakfast "uh- yeah- are you okay? You look like you haven't slept in weeks."

Upon opening the bar finally, maybe a little too hard due to his struggle- it flies out the wrapper and is falling to the ground with a thump. He curses under her breath and swipes it from the floor and chucking it into the garbage "Colby-" "let's go." Without another word, he's trailing behind his brother with a look of concern.