003

CHAPTER THREE ( pin the tail on the murderer )

CHAPTER THREE
( pin the tail on the murderer )

Thankfully, Kie's car hadn't been towed and they were all able to climb inside of the vehicle. And after getting through the construction site, Pope tells Kie where Gavin was headed to meet Ward and soon, they were on their way. As she drove it began to rain, which was great because all that Thea was wearing was JJ's muscle tee, but fortunately she always kept a spare zipped hoodie in her backpack.

As they arrived at the location, which was a small surf shop that was right across the road, she pulled on the jacket and zipped it up before she pulled the hood over her hair. The four of them were hiding behind a fence as it rained cats and dogs, lightning striking through the sky, and thunder rumbling overhead. The typical Outer Banks storm. Pope had an antique camera with him, he was using it to watch Gavin closely as he met up with Ward.

"Nice camera." JJ comments, poking at him a bit. "Where'd you dig up that relic? Why don't you just use your phone?"

Pope glanced at him, "Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics. Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away."

Kie shakes her head, "Lord of the dorks."

"Ignore them." Thea says, rolling her eyes, "I like your telephoto, Pope."

He shoots her a smile, "Thanks, T."

She shrugs with a smile, "Us tech-geeks gotta stick together."

"As I was saying," Pope picks up where he left off in his explanation, "For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass."

"There he is." JJ points out, making all of their attention focus back on the task at hand, looking out for Gavin and Ward. "Yo, get down." He said, they all drop down below the gate, staying out of Ward Cameron's radar as he rushed past them.

"And there's Gavin." Pope says, watching closely. "Where you going, you son of a bitch?" Thea noticed two people—more two like blobs from her viewpoint—running into a building. "No, no, no, no. I'm losing him."

"Shit." JJ muttered.

"Where's he going?" Thea asked.

"Hold on." Pope replied.

While he did that, JJ had snuck off behind them, finding a way to keep a close eye on Ward and Gavin. He whistled, grabbing their attention and making them turn to him, "Hey, I found something. Come here."