022

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO( stupid things, good outcomes )

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
( stupid things, good outcomes )

THE sun came up as the next morning rolled around, and Thea hadn't slept a wink since she had arrived home a couple hours ago. She couldn't sleep, not when she felt so much guilt about crashing the one thing that her mother had left of her father. Though she didn't have any any memories of her dad, she knew that her mom did.

And she could tell how important the car had been to her. No matter how many hours she would have take at the Wreck, she made it her personal mission to save up so she could be able to fix the car for her mom. She would work herself to the bone if she had to, she needed to find a way make it up to her.

She owed her that much.

And this was the last time that Pope was allowed to be behind a wheel, ever. Because now, he had an ongoing record for being high and crashing their parents' cars. First Kie's parents car that past summer, and now her mom's car.

He was banned.

She had been sitting in her room for hours on her bed, her sketch pencils sprawled out infront of her crisscrossed legs as she sketches in her pad. She was using her gold sketch pencil as she shaded in the sketch she was doing, her habit of drawing the first thing she thought of, the cross of Santa Domingo. As she drew it, the need to escaped through her window to go and help her friends grew.

She told Pope that they were gonna get the cross back, but she couldn't do that from her bedroom. She didn't want to make her mom more upset, but she made a promise to Pope, and she couldn't go back on it. That cross belongs to him and his family, and he needs all the help that he can get to get it back from Limbrey.

Suddenly, like she wished for it to happen, her phone began to buzz on her beside table. She reached over and grabbed it, and she saw Kie's caller ID flashing on the screen.

She quickly picked up the call and place the phone to her ear, "Hey, Kie. What's up?"

"It's Pope, I'm with Kie though." He answered quickly.

"Oh, okay." She blinked in confusion, shaking her head. "What's going on? Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine but we're on our way to get you now." Pope replied.

"What? Pope, I—" She falls silent, glancing over at her closed bedroom door. "What the hell happened?"

"Rafe has the cross, and I think he killed somebody else." Pope begins to explain as her eyes grow, "He dragged a body to the swamp and a gator ate it. Then I attacked him and tried to get the cross back, but I hid before he pulled his gun on me."