Chapter 23: Nightmares

It was late afternoon when your doors were opened and a familiar face greeted you.

"Pacer!" You ran forward and wrapped your hands around her neck.

To your surprise, she held you back firmly, before collapsing into you, sobbing. You held on to her, letting her soak your shoulder in tears. What you wouldn't give to take away her pain and suffering. It was Jay, she was gone. You didn't need her to tell you, or even to read her mind to know what plagued her.

You suddenly remembered your last interaction with them. You were rude, and cold to them both. That guilt would haunt you now for life. Her sobs subsided, she looked at you.

"I'm so sorry Mistress." She said to you, "This is highly inappropriate of me." She was sucking in shallow breaths.

"No, Pacer, don't be sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through." Your heart broke too. You didn't know Jay nearly as well as the woman in front of you did, but the two of them were the closest people you had to friends these days. It would be a lie to say that she didn't brighten your day when you saw her in the past. "What happened when they attacked?"

Pacer took big gulps of air before beginning. "The ship shook, the alarms started going off. We both woke up." As she was recalling the events she struggled to speak. "When we went into the hall, there were troopers everywhere running by. It was so confusing. She got separated from me in the crowd of others trying to escape, I have no idea if she's alive or dead. I've talked to so many people and no one knows anything." She heaved into another wave of sobs.

You stroked her hair, hoping it afforded her some sense of comfort. You remembered how you had felt when you thought Kylo Ren was dead. That pure, raw pain couldn't be consoled. You hoped that maybe Jay would be found one day.

"We will find her. Go get yourself a good meal and some rest." You rubbed her shoulder, "I'm here for you."

It felt good to extend kindness to someone. It had been so long since you had felt this way, sympathy for another person. Most of your emotions these days were consumed by anger and disdain for your former peers. It's almost like you forgot what it was to be normal, to be nice.

"Thank you, Mistress." She left the room, leaving you alone once again.

When night fell, your stomach was fluttering. You felt anxious with the thought of sleeping next to him. It was just sleeping, there wasn't anything to worry about, but it made you feel nauseous. Your hands were shaking as you reached out to knock on his door. It slid open, allowing you entrance. He was in the room, standing there as though he had been waiting for you. The dim lights made you feel warm inside, even though your hands were cold and sweaty.

"You seem uncomfortable...why?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"I, um, honestly, I'm not sure." That was true. There was no good reason to be nervous.

"You will sleep on that side." You had never considered that Kylo Ren had a preference for which side of the bed he was on, but he clearly wanted to be closer to the door, and thus preferred the right side.

"Yes, Master." You slowly walked over to the bed.

It felt surreal, watching him get into his bed and putting the covers over himself. He was so idealized by everyone, including yourself, that you almost forgot that he did normal things like sleeping. You wondered what he looked like doing other normal activities like brushing his teeth or shaving. Does he like coffee?

"Do I have to demand for you to get in the bed too? Or are you capable of doing that on your own."

You jumped, realizing you had been standing there for far too long. You slid under the covers, resting your head against the pillow. It smelled like him, the whole bed, surrounding you and enveloping you. It was frustrating to be allowing yourself to feel this way. You're just a tool, you reminded yourself. The more you thought about him using you up and casting you away, the more aggravated you were becoming. You wanted to go back to your room to be alone with your feelings.