Chapter 29: Haunted

Pacer was waking behind you. You had been struggling to keep your eyes open now that the adrenaline, stress, and anxiety had passed. Your eyes were itchy and dry from crying, it would be your turn to rest soon too, but Pacer deserved some explanation about what had happened.

"We will be there in a while." You said, breaking the silence that had plagued you since Rey left.

It had been difficult to keep yourself from crying more, and from turning back around, but it was too late now. That level of selfishness would surely have secured your fate on the dark side.

"Tell me, about you, about all of this." She said softly.

You took a deep breath. You were too tired to get into every single detail, it was too much anyway. She didn't need to know everything, but you could tell she was eager to know about this entirely new world you were bringing her to. It was likely, as it was with most First Order members, that she was born then taken by or sold to them. She probably had never seen anything outside the walls of the First Order spacecrafts.

"I am Sidrienne Parroba, my father was Admiral of the Resistance, and my mother is the General. I was born on Evora, the planet we just left behind." You paused, trying to decide which pieces of information may interest her the most, and how much you could physically get through without crying more or feeling more nauseous. "I spent my entire life training to build the mental fortitude to join the First Order, and gain intel to stop them. I was the original Plan B. The late General Organa, as a safety measure, sent small groups of the Rebels to various reaches of the galaxy, in the event that their main team, Plan A, was discovered and destroyed, which a good chunk of it was during the battle of Crait."

"I remember that, everyone was talking about it."

"Yes, it was monumental, that's for sure." You remember your father and mother's faces when they'd heard the news that Leia was dead, along with Rey and Luke. "Rey was like, alternate Plan B. No one expected that she was going to become part of all this, no one even knew her until right around the time the first Starkiller Base was destroyed, but she was another failsafe before the responsibility became mine. So the original Plan B went into effect after we all thought she died. I'm a descendant of one of, if not the last, Jedi initiate that escaped Coruscant when Anakin Skywalker laid waste to the Jedi temple. I was the last hope." You took another deep breath. "So, since going in, guns blazing didn't work, they decided to send me in as a more...covert option. Meeting him was never part of the plan, but it happened. You know the rest, at least most of it."

You could tell her more, but you didn't want to. Memories of your father hurt, memories of Kylo Ren hurt, and thinking about everything going on was beyond exhausting. You couldn't wait to get to Ajan Kloss and get some real rest. Sleeping on a ship was fine, you'd done it for years, but sleeping on a solid planet, on solid ground, there was nothing like it.

"So, are you a Jedi?" She asked.

"No. My grandfather didn't continue his training as a Jedi after what happened with Anakin. He was too afraid that he would be found and killed. But he did continue training as a Force-user. He trained my father, who in turn trained me. Rey is a Jedi, well, she's still in training, but she will be." You explained. "I don't really think I could ever be. It was too easy for me to almost turn dark."

"Anyone could turn dark after what you went through."

Pacer was too good for this galaxy, always giving you the benefit of the doubt.

"Yeah, well, not the Jedi. They're not supposed to." You were tired of talking about you, "tell me about you, where are you from?"

"I was born into the First Order, like most of the people there." She paused, sucking in a deep breath. "Jay and I weren't very strong, and we weren't as smart as some of the engineer recruits, so they put us on cleaning duties." She was getting uncomfortable, you could feel it.