Chapter 40: The Final Republic

It was the morning after the events that had taken place on Exegol. It was hard for you to believe it still. You were finally being met with the brown eyes you could stare into for an eternity. Ben looked at you, confused for a moment before struggling to sit up. He looked around the medical tent as though trying to figure out where he was, but when he looked at you again, his face calmed. Your hand instinctively reached for his.

"Where am I?" He asked you.

"The Resistance base. We're on Ajan Kloss." You explained, rubbing your thumb over the top of his hand.

He ran his other hand through his hair before he furrowed his brow. You let go of him long enough to grab a cup of water and press it to his lips. He gulped down the whole thing. He hadn't eaten or drank anything since you were last on the Finalizer. You decided to go get more and turned to go.

"I'll go get you some more."

He grabbed your wrist. "No, stay...please."

You turned back to him. His eyebrows were turned up, lips pouted. You were unable to conceal a smile. To feel needed by him was something you'd always wanted, though you'd hoped the circumstances would've been a little less dire. You sat back down in your seat, and returned your hand into his. As long as you lived, you'd always be there for him now.

"Is everyone else ok?" He asked.

"Well, we lost some good people out there on the fighters against the star destroyers, but a lot of them made it back." You looked around at the full medical tent. "A lot of them are also in critical care."

"We could help them." He immediately tried to stand, but you stopped him with a hand on your chest.

"We need to gather our strength before we can help anyone." You pointed to his bum leg. "You broke your leg, you have some spinal injuries, and a concussion. You, sir, are on strict bed rest." You could tell by his expression that he wasn't fond of that idea, but he wasn't really in a position to protest. "Once I'm better, which should only be in another day or so, I'll fix you up. Then we can talk about healing others, together."

"How did they take down all those destroyers?"

You had wondered that yourself before speaking with Poe earlier. "Lando Calrissian, you know, the Rebel hero that ran with your..." You looked at him, pausing.

"With my father, yes I knew of Lando." It would seem he was working on mentally healing as well. It would take time, but you'd hoped some day he would feel comfortable talking about his family with you.

"Well, between him, an old friend of Poe's, and other Resistance allies, they had a fleet larger than anything the galaxy had ever seen!" You felt yourself growing excited as you explained further. "It was insane. Leia had put out a distress call back during the battle of Crait, but no one responded. They were all afraid, but when they heard from Lando and the others, they had hope."

He smirked and squeezed your hand. "How's Rey?"

"She's ok. You know, she really vouched for you, to the others." You explained, pressing your lips together. "It wasn't easy getting you a spot under this tent."

He looked down at his lap. "I'm sure it wasn't."

"Eventually, they'll all see you the way I do." You knew that wasn't realistic, but you were sure going to try.

You couldn't blame any of them for hating him, in fact, you should probably still hate him too. If it wasn't for him though, you and Rey might not have made it out of there alive. Palpatine had been playing him from the start, and he was just as much a victim as everyone else here, but you knew the others wouldn't see it that way. While you tried to be sympathetic to them, you'd hoped they would all have forgiveness in their hearts.