Chapter 38: Better Together

TW: SA (Unwanted sexual contact that may be upsetting to some readers), physical harm, violence

Ben helped you down from the TIE fighter as you stepped onto the gray expanse of Exegol. The unbelievably large building expanded in front of you, larger than any structure you'd ever witnessed. You noticed Ben had a blaster in hand, something you'd never seen him use before.

"Where's your saber?" You asked.

"That saber belonged to Kylo Ren...he's dead." He explained.

You didn't think tossing it was the wisest choice, but it was too late and there was too little time for argument. This was his mental journey, and you would just need to show him patience and understanding, no matter how odd his decisions.

"What is this place?" You were still in awe of the sheer size of it.

"This is the Sith Citadel. This is where Palpatine has been all this time." He explained. His gaze shifted to the left quickly. "Look." He pointed, "It's an X-wing."

Your jaw dropped, "she's here already, we have to go!"

You ran, but his long legs carried him faster and further ahead of you. You could tell he slowed his pace to let you catch up, but you were in such a hurry that you didn't care if he was ahead. As you approached the Citadel walls, you felt smaller than ever.

He kept on ahead of you. It was fortunate that he knew where to go. You realized that if you'd come here alone, you would've had difficulty just getting inside the citadel, nevermind finding the planet itself. He went directly to a large hole in the ground, stopping before the edge.

"We have to jump." He said.

Without hesitation you watched him throw himself into the hole, your guts dropped to your toes as you ran to the open floor, feeling relief when you realized he was hanging onto a chain link the size of Chewie. He groaned, that couldn't have felt pleasant. You were frozen. You weren't exactly afraid of heights, but the prospect of jumping onto an enormous chain headed down into the depths of the Sith Citadel was unappealing to say the least. You also knew that one I'll timed jump or the slickness of your palms could send you down to the ground to your death.

"Is there no other way?" You asked, hoping he would tell you there was a secret set of stairs.

"No, Sid, you have to jump. You can do it!" He yelled from below.

Your breath caught in your throat. You took several steps back, panting heavily. If your father could see you now, you wondered if he would still be proud, or if he would think you were a fool. You wiped your sweating hands on your robes and then you ran. You jumped as you reached the edge, your arms flying out, but you'd missed the chain by a small margin, and immediately felt your brain freeze. As you began to fall to your death, a hand grabbed your wrist, stopping you from your rapid descent.

"Ah, oh shit!" You yelled, trying to stay steady so as not to pull Ben off the chain he was desperately holding on to.

"I need you to swing!" He said, knuckles turning white as he held onto you. "Swing to the link right there." He was referring to the one below him. "I won't let go of you!"

You nodded, breathing heavy with panic. With a heave, you began swinging your legs, rocking back and forth. Using him for leverage, you were able to swing yourself onto the chain, gripping it with your legs and free hand. Despite your sweaty palms, you were able to pull yourself onto the chain, resting for a moment to recollect yourself.

Once you both had a moment to calm yourselves, you carefully continued down the chain, one link at a time. When you reached the bottom, you dropped to the ground, taking a moment to appreciate the stability of solid stone beneath you. Ben helped you stand back up.