Chapter 20: Traitor

You looked at the hand outstretched to you. Rey wasn't going to continue to fight you, not here, but she wasn't going to fight for you either. Green blasts shot through the hangar, missing you and Rey, the blasts were coming from Kylo Ren's TIE fighter. You assumed he was shooting to distract, rather than kill, but with him you were never sure. She turned and ran for the Millennium Falcon. Before entering, she looked at you, one last time, no doubt waiting to see if you would run to her. Your feet were frozen in place, you were so torn. The TIE landed, he opened the hatch.

"Get in! Now!" He yelled.

You were surprised that he had even come back. You expected him to leave you, like he always did. It wasn't an easy choice, though it should've been, and you turned to Kylo Ren, running as fast as your legs would carry you, climbing into the TIE fighter. He shot some more into the hangar for good measure, hitting the side of the Millennium Falcon, but not destroying it, before speeding off.

You strapped yourself in, chest heaving against the restraints. What have you done? Your cover was surely blown. The Supreme Leader knew that you were lying about your strength at least. It was possible your connection to the Resistance was still a mystery, but there was no doubt that he was going to have questions. That didn't matter right now, you had to get away from the fighting.

He shot down one X-wing after another, clearing a path to safety. Everything felt like it slowed down for a moment. A tingling in your mind alerted you to impending doom. A ship coming toward you, inside flew the Admiral of the Resistance, your father. He must've known you were in here, he had to have felt your presence. Inside, you could hear his every intent, his mind full of determination and...pain. He was going to blow up this ship, regardless of you being inside.

"That fighter is going to kill us! Ren!" You didn't know what came over you, a mixture of the anger you felt for him and the impending death you knew he would inflict upon you, inside you were hoping Kylo Ren would shoot upon your father.

"I know!" He yelled over the howl of the fighter.

You didn't want this to be the way things went, but he was pushing you into a corner. Your father's thumb was hovering over the trigger, you sensed him, the conflict he held inside. His fear was consuming him, the fear that his daughter was turning before his very eyes, like Leia's son had done. To kill you before you became what he feared most would be a mercy to you, or so he imagined. You were forced to feel every painstaking moment of his internal misery, just before the green lights flashed in front of you, and your father's fighter was gone, pieces of it scattering throughout space.

It was like you had been shot yourself. You lurched forward, hand to your chest. You were heaving as though you had just finished a training circuit. It was impossible to fight back the tears. There was no doubt he noticed you sobbing, but it would be just as easy to explain without giving up who you are. He continued to fight through the various X-wing fighters coming your way with ease, while you struggled to control your mind. Your father was dead, and it was your fault. Maybe you were just like him.

Eventually, through his piloting skills, you were both flying through the vastness that was space, unopposed and you were unsure of where you were going. He reached up and removed his mask, you were facing the back of his head, but you could still feel the anger in him when he slammed the mask down.

"Damn it!" He screamed.

He slammed his fist into the window so many times you lost count, screaming nonsensically as he did. It resisted breakage, but you were shaken nonetheless. He was quaking in his chair, exhibiting more fury than you had truly seen yet. The fight was over for now, and you were going to have to answer some tough questions this time.