Chapter 1: The Unexpected Apprentice

You open your eyes to stare up at the metallic ceiling of your room. The sound of your alarm was screaming at you to rise. Without further delay, you stand, dressing into your uniform.

Your door opened, other officers walked briskly by you before you could begin your march behind them. Your boots clicked against the ship's floor as you walked to your post. Captain Sanhal was already at post when you and the rest of the soldiers took your places in the grand meeting hall. The large round table was fit for over thirty of the highest ranked officials in the First Order.

It had taken years, but you had finally proven yourself worthy of standing guard around the table that would host the Supreme Council, and their notoriously heated discussions. The Supreme Council consisted of those who stood by the Supreme Leader's side during his victory against the resistance, and the final battle to destroy the Jedi once and for all. This would also be your first time actually seeing the man you were meant to protect and give your life for, The Supreme Leader, Kylo Ren.

With a couple million soldiers on board, it was an immense honor to even be in his presence, never mind being part of the small group that had the honor of protecting him at council meetings. From what you had been told, and understood, these meetings didn't typically go awry, but no one wanted to take the risk. Your Captain began to speak, addressing all the soldiers in the room.

"Today is a very important meeting. Today, our Supreme Leader is choosing his apprentice. He has been under immense pressure to do so, and the time has come." He paced, hands remaining at his sides. "There are a few soldiers who have shown their willingness to serve our Master, in all that it means to be his apprentice. They have exhibited the utmost strength, poise, and most of all, obedience."

You felt yourself growing anxious with every word the Captain said. Your breathing was getting jagged in anticipation. Rumors had spread through the ship of the Supreme Leader and his...tastes. You couldn't help but wonder if he would be as volatile with his new apprentice.

"When master Kylo Ren enters, you will all kneel, and then rise when he nods his head. We must exhibit power in front of the order." He stopped in front of you. His blue eyes pierced through you. "I say this for the benefit of those who have recently been promoted."

The doors slid open, and in walked the Supreme Leader himself. You had nearly forgotten to kneel, but it was easy enough given your wobbling knees. You managed to compose yourself and keep your face straight ahead, but he turned and looked right at you. Through the mask, you could not see his eyes, but you knew he looked right at you, forcing into you.

Are you...

You held your breath. The voice you just heard. Was it...the Supreme Leader? He sensed you. He turned his head forward quickly and continued his march to the head of the table. Others had spoken of the Supreme Leader and his ability to control the Force. They said he could stop a laser in mid shot, and bend the weak minded to his will. You had never witnessed it first hand.

You and the others weren't made to rise yet. The other elite members of the First Order were making their way into the room. The kneeling was an exhibit of power to the others, to show them that their Supreme Leader has full command of his crew. Once they all were seated, Kylo Ren raised both his hands and nodded. You saw the others stand. You were slower than them, but stood as well on shaky knees.

Your Captain spoke. "Supreme Leader, Kylo Ren, as you know, the members of the council have brought you the very best of each of their soldiers in hopes that from the best and most prestigious soldiers the First Order has to offer, you will choose a worthy apprentice." The Captain moved to the door and allowed it to open, ten soldiers walked through. Each of them wore only black robes that very scantily covered their bodies. They each stood behind their respective squad leader, awaiting judgment.