Chapter 31: Explanations

She was wrapped in a shawl, appropriate for this chilly night. She handed you a cup of tea from your end table before sipping on her own mug. Her expression wasn't angry, or even concerned, she just looked compassionate and ready to listen, and you were ready to get a lot off your chest. You really hoped she hadn't heard some of the...dirtier things you'd done, but it didn't matter now.

"Are you ok?" She motioned to your blood stained shirt.

You looked down at it and back to her, "oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"Did he hurt you?" She asked.

You shook your head, "no, well, yes...I...I like it."

Her eyebrows went up as she sipped from her cup. "Oh." She said, clearly surprised.

"Sorry, you didn't need to know that." You felt your cheeks turning red. "I've just...learned so much about myself and I don't really have anyone I can talk to."

"No, it's fine. I'm just glad you're ok."

You moved to sit in the chair across from her. You both sipped in silence for several moments while you thought about where to even begin. There were things you needed to know about her too. Like how she was able to be here, in front of you, when everyone was sure she was dead.

"Tell me everything, from the day you got to the First Order." She said.

"Well I joined after we all thought you were dead. Poe dropped me off on Banto where they had a recruitment center. They do have those centers around, even though we all know most 'recruits' aren't there by choice. I signed on and they shipped me off to the Finalizer under the order of a guy named Captain Sanhal." You took a gulp of your tea, recalling his very sudden death by the hands of Kylo Ren. "I was able to move up faster than most given my prior training. I was eventually given a promotion and asked to supervise a Supreme Council meeting." Another sip of tea passed your lips. "Imagine my frustration after every painstaking moment of mental training was washed away the second he looked at me."

"No, you managed to keep him from finding out so much. He didn't even know you were part of the Resistance." She commented. "The average person couldn't have done that, even the usual Force user couldn't have done that."

"That's true." You finished off your cup. "But he still sensed immediately that I was different from the others. The Supreme Council presented him with several candidates for an apprentice and he picked me specifically." Your right hand balled into a fist. "That's why I was so angry when dad acted like I betrayed you all. I would never do anything like that. But what was I supposed to do, Rey? Honestly."

You placed your empty cup on the end table. When you sat back down you took several deep breaths before you felt you could continue. You were getting fired up just thinking about how foolish your father had been. If he would've just listened to you...

"I know. I told you, I tried to talk to him, but he wouldn't hear reason."

You continued, "I spent all this last month and a half or so, trying to gain intel. I found out one measly bit of information, hardly the sort of motherload I thought I was going to get, but it's all I could get. They keep stuff so friggin buttoned up in there." You shook your head. "This was a failure. I failed."

"No, just knowing that they are planning to create those Death Stars is an asset. Poe is already working on a plan to blow them up, your mother is trying to see if there are more already built other than the two we know about, it's not all lost." Her face was reassuring. Perhaps this whole thing wasn't a waste of your life. "Tell me about him. Please."

You recalled that she had once cared for him too. It was probably silly to feel a small bit of jealousy, but you couldn't help it. He had once asked her to take his hand, or so you recalled he said.