Chapter 37: Love

Adult Content

Your eyes opened slowly, it took some time but you began taking in your surroundings. The familiar sound of a TIE fighter assaulted your ears, but your body had never felt better. You felt your abdomen, your wound was gone, and not a single scar remained from your interrogation earlier, and your head wasn't aching. He was in front of you, and you quickly realized this wasn't his ship. Rey must've taken his when you shouted at her to go.

He turned and faced you. "You're awake."

You weren't sure if that moment you'd shared on Kef Bir was real, had he really changed? Was he...good?

"You saved me." You said, still not able to believe it.

He nodded, you couldn't read his face, but he seemed different. You had so many questions, but you weren't sure where to start. You reached out, touching your fingertips to his cheek. When his hand gripped your wrist you gasped. He kissed your palm and then held your hand in his. This was almost uncomfortable, you weren't used to any sign of affection from him. You slowly pulled your hand back, away from his. He furrowed his brow, with a look that broke your heart. You felt like this was too good to be true, like it wasn't real.

"It's not easy for me either." He pressed his lips together.

"I don't understand how this all shifted so fast." You said softly. "How you...changed your mind. I never thought I would ever see this day, except in my dreams."

He turned back to look out the window. "I can try to explain, if you're ready to hear it."

Was this the moment he was going to open up to you? A lump formed in your throat. You were afraid of the things he would tell you, but you also desperately wanted to hear it.

"Please...tell me everything." Your hand touched the back of his head.

His hair was nearly dry, but still damp from the salt water. You hadn't had an opportunity like this yet, to touch him so intimately. Your fingers disappeared in the black strands as you combed down to his neck, and finally rested your hand on his shoulder.

"We don't have time for me to tell you everything, but I'll tell you what I can." He inhaled deeply before beginning. "When I first laid eyes on you, standing there in the meeting hall, I'd never felt anything like it. Not from Rey, or anyone. It intrigued me, so I thought keeping you close to me was a good plan." He took another deep breath. "When I realized I couldn't see inside your mind easily, I knew there was something much deeper going on that I wasn't prepared for, which intrigued me even further, and made me fear for my power." He shifted in his seat, you removed your hand from his shoulder and placed it in your lap. "My grandfather, I thought he was speaking to me, through his mask."

You remembered your vision. He had been talking to that melted and deformed thing on a pedestal. You wondered how long he had been doing that. It made sense though, in a way. Why wouldn't he idolize someone who, not only was his grandfather, but had been turned to the darkside after feeling betrayed, just as he had felt? You'd been told stories of Anakin's checkered past, but never really thought about how hard it must've been for him to go through the things he'd dealt with, and what effect that would've had on his mental state. It just made you even more glad that you'd managed to get through to Ben before he suffered a similar fate.

"I saw it, in one of my visions..." You said. He turned and looked at you.

"You saw me speaking to the mask?" He almost looked embarrassed. "What did you hear?"

"What I can only assume was Vader telling you to kill me, and you telling him that you would turn me to the dark side."

He nodded. "That was the plan, to make you an invaluable asset to me, to the dark side, and the First Order. It was when I had the second vision, that truly I saw you, your heart, your feelings toward me. Up until then it was only speculation, but once I knew for sure, for the sake of my destiny, I had to stop you from thinking that way."