Chapter 23: Victorious

(Naomi's POV)

"Look! It looks like they're getting ready for the second half of the game." I pointed out as I noticed Charlie and Calvin entering the pitch.

"Yeah, whatever, it's not like they're going to win or anything." She scoffed at my remark, I'd be honest if I wasn't a little bit disappointed in my older sister's remark, she truly was a girl with an attitude.

"Hey at least have a little faith, and be a little optimistic that things will go his way." I pouted at her.

"From my point of view, Josh is one insane player, as of right now his the best player on the pitch and no one can match him. Even Calvin can't match him it's just not possible for Charlie to turn this game around." Mei simply stated, looking as more players headed towards the pitch.

"Fine I guess I see your point" I softly admitted defeat. "But there's always a chance!" I lightened up, as Mei simply rolled her eyes at me.

"Anyways Mei what were you doing with Charlie?"

"You noticed huh? I just gave him a lesson." She chuckled.

"A lesson?"

"Well since you asked nicely this is exactly what I did to him." She demonstrated as she slapped the palm of her hand repeatedly.

This sister of mine was truly a big fat meanie.

(Sae's POV)

The match had a whole different atmosphere during the second half. It was a different type of ball game.

I couldn't make a single impact on this game but thankfully, Josh was carrying this team hard, if the team won at this rate I would be the striker that would play in the Round of 16.

I currently possessed the ball, analysing everyone on the pitch. What they would do, how they would do it.

Then it clicked.

As if the pieces of the puzzle had finally been completed.

I knew how everyone would play. I could see where Calvin would position himself next, where Josh would prepare for a strike, and where Charlie would find some space to score a goal.

Was this what Josh was seeing the whole time?

Simply said, it involves employing a high football IQ to analyse a large amount of high and low-resolution information quickly. First and foremost, the capacity to rapidly absorb and update large amounts of information, which most players can achieve by turning their heads left and right and using their peripheral vision. Most data can be gathered by using both together.

One needs to use his football IQ to swiftly decide what is the best play to execute now that all of the data have been gathered and updated. This explains why having both qualities—high football IQ and information gathering—is essential, as well as why not every player has whatever ability I was having at the moment. Only the best of the best could have this ability.

I had been doing this subconsciously with pieces of the puzzles still being fit in, like the match with Kaito, Hideo, Charlie or the duel with Charlie which all lead to this.

This was it, my chance to prove my worth in this game. I had to douse this ability before I strained my body too much, as I could feel my stamina draining away from this game.

I dribble away from the two opposing central defenders on the edge of the box to open up space for a shot. I rifle my low shot towards the near bottom and squeeze it past the Goalkeeper for my first goal of the game.

GOAL! (4-0)

"Josh you're on fire!" One of my teammates shouted.

Or so I thought I had scored that goal. It seemed that my prediction was wrong, it seemed as though Josh had intercepted my play for a goal, and instead transformed that play into his play and simply scored the goal for himself.