Chapter 34

Vegas walked down the corridor until he reached his son's bedroom. Macau heard his brother's footsteps and decided to join him outside to talk about what happened. Vegas looked at his younger brother expectantly, hoping that he could say something that would clear any doubt.

"So? Were you able to talk to him?" Vegas asked.

"Yeah. I suppose that you're concerned about his health first though, he says that his head aches and that he fears that he may easily lose balance if he tries to walk to the dining room, he's hungry though, it should be a good sign, right?" Macau claimed.

"Ok, that's good, did he say anything else though? Like the reason of his behavior or I don't know... maybe you've noticed that he acts like he's hiding something from us" Vegas asked again.

"Well, we've talked about that too, I admit that it wasn't too difficult either. Considering the reason, I think you shouldn't be so harsh with him, he feels guilty for what happened to his boyfriend and he feels even worse whenever he talks about it..." Macau started.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Maybe it will sound weird but... he basically thinks that he's responsible for what happened to Rain. He focuses on this feeling and he consequently feels even worse because he's focusing on himself rather than on Rain, do you understand what I mean?" Macau replied.

"Alright... let's proceed like this, we have to be careful with both Venice and his annoying boyfriend. Come with me to the dining room, the food is ready, I can hear Pete moving the plates" Vegas said.

"But Venice..."

"Come with me, you've taken good care of him" Vegas interrupted him. They walked to the dining room, Rain was already sitting down, Vegas moved a chair away to let Macau sit down too, then he grabbed another plate and put it closer to Pete, who was putting some rice and omelets for each one.

"Fill this one too, I'll take it to Venice" Vegas said while holding the plate. Pete didn't pose any questions, he put the omelet and some rice on it, Vegas grabbed a spoon and started walking to his son's bedroom. He knocked on the door and then he entered slowly.

"Venice?"

"Dad?"

"Macau told me you were hungry so I brought something for you to eat..." Vegas said as he sat on the bed and put the dish on the night table. He looked at his son and then he looked down.

"I'm sorry, Venice... I shouldn't have talked to you like that. I thought that you were doing the same thing I did to your father and I got angry... I should have realized that it was something deeper... not as silly as your dad" Vegas said making a sad smile at the end.

"I'm sorry dad... I... I really didn't want you to worry... I just hoped that it could calm myself down... what about Rain? Is he alright?"

"Yes, he's eating with Pe-"

"I'm here P' Payu... sorry... I accidentally heard you talking" Rain said while holding his plate in his hands.

"Kid, you should know that it is extremely disrespectful to overhear someone's conversation, especially in this context... fuck it... I'm just relieved that you're both ok... " Vegas remarked and left the room to give the two of them a moment together without anyone to disturb them.

"How do you feel P?"

"I'm totally fine... don't worry"

"Well, you know that you shouldn't pretend in front of your boyfriend, right? You don't even have the strength to come to eat with us and you want me to believe that you're totally fine? I'm not that dumb" Rain replied.

"Ok Sherlock Holmes, I'm still trying to recover... anyway... I'm sorry Rain, I should have stayed with you and tried to fix that mess together rather than leave you to deal with it on your own" Payu started.

"No... it was necessary. At least I've realized that I can't do anything without people who helps me, right?"

"Don't say that..."

"We agree to disagree. Now let's eat before it gets cold" Rain said and started eating.

When they were done, Payu tried to stand up to take the plates to the kitchen himself, but Rain insisted to do it alone. He took the plates and took also those that were in the dining room.

"Oh, thank you Rain, I'll take the glasses then" Pete said as he walked down the corridor with the young guy. Venice's father reached the kitchen first and started putting the glasses in the dishwasher.

Rain wasn't that far from the kitchen but he felt like those dishes were becoming heavier and heavier.

"Come on... I... I can do it..." he murmured to himself. Pete went back to the corridor and reached Rain just before he could let the dishes fall.

"Are you alright Rain?"

"Yes... where is the bathroom?" Rain asked calmly. Pete told him where to go, the young student thanked him and walked away, only to sit down on the tiled floor and hug his knees.

"I can do nothing... nothing!"