13. Wrapped heart

"What the hell happened to her Liam ?" A familiar voice that I can't quite place mutters while I lay comfortably in the arms of Liam that had no other choice but to carry me to my house

Oh yeah. It's my dad that is talking. Shit. Poor Lee. I don't make an effort to open my eyes, as the tiredness of the alcohol kicked in a few minutes earlier in the car, leaving me kind of helpless in Liam's embrace.

Nevertheless, I am fully conscious and feel every step Liam takes as he enters my house. He walks the familiar route to head to my room, one I know all too well while my dad's footsteps can be heard behind him. Curse words even escape his lips from time to time as he analysis my state.

I feel Liam gently lay me down on my bed, and I immediately snuggle closer to my pillow. I hear him chuckle at my behavior, so I slightly open my eyes to see him staring down at me with a smug smile across his face.

"Thank you Liam for bringing her home, I appreciate it." My dad's voice resonates from behind us. Liam stands up from my bed and sends me a quick smile before turning around to head out of the room.

"Sweet dreams Lils."

And then it's just my dad and me in my room, as Liam leaves us behind. At this moment I wish I could just disappear under the covers of my bed and never appear again, just so I would avoid seeing the disappointment on my father's face. Or even better, just be swallowed up by the floor.

"Sleep. You need to rest for your travels tomorrow. We'll talk in the morning." His tone is sharp and the next minute my bedroom door closes, which makes a sigh escape my lips.

I already don't want to be tomorrow.

But as much as I want this to be true, it isn't and the morning comes by faster than I would have liked.

I wake up with a headache, just like I imagined I would, and pack my bag for over an hour just to push the encounter further away. But at one point it has to happen. And it does when I bring my suitcase down the flight of stairs, only to find him waiting for me at the bottom.

"You can't avoid me, Liliana. I am disappointed about yesterday. I can't deny it. I just..." he clears his throat. "Just don't want you to end up like your mother."

I stare him straight in the eyes and see pure worry lingering in his grey eye, similar color to mine. And I can't blame him for saying those words. He is scared to lose both of the woman he loves to alcohol. But I can't help to feel hurt about those words too, because never, and I mean never, will I end up like my mother. I would rather die.

"I won't end up like her and you know it," I whisper.

"I'm sorry." He says sincerely. "Let's just forget about it. I still want to say goodbye to my daughter properly. I barely had time to process your departure." 

Hurt is clearly visible in his eyes and I can't look at it any longer. I take a few steps to get to him and embrace him in a hug, which he returns.

It's nothing I like to do. Hugging I mean. So for a short moment, I grit my teeth together and hold onto my dad because I know he needs it, but the next moment I lightly distance myself again.