56. Engraved promises

Get ready

Get ready...

"What's going on, Greyson?" I whisper, pulling him aside to get some answers. He's usually the most reliable source of information when things go sideways.

Magnolia and Jace have been tight-lipped about the mysterious call. They claim it's too dangerous to share details about their secret mission. According to them, revealing anything would put Blake, who, I recently found out, is Ethan's twin, at greater risk.

Even Greyson tried to get Magnolia to spill the beans, exchanging a knowing glance with her, but she was unyielding. Her priority is clearly her brother's safety, and I can't fault her for that. So I had no choice but to corner Greyson in a separate room and press for some clarity, hoping to offer our help. The news they got barely sounded joyful.

"I can't tell you for Christ sake, Lili." Greyson desperately sighs, rubbing a hand over his face. "Trust me, I would tell you if I could. But it's above my pay grade."

I frown at his words, knowing damn well that not a single paycheck is involved in this situation. "But I want to help," I insist, trying desperately to ease his stress. Yet, I might just be doing everything wrong, and doing the exact contrary of helping.

"I know, sweetheart," he says, visibly frustrated. "But like Magnolia said, we can't share anything unless we need you. Blake's the best person for this mission. Trust me." His words are resolute—no room for doubt.

So I keep my mouth shut, simply because I believe him.

"Come on," he urges, carefully directing me back into the room, where chaos reigns. I don't resist and let him guide me back into the room.

Rhys gives me a questioning look as I return, silently asking if I've learned anything useful. My expression must say it all: I'm just as in the dark as he is. His talk with Jace got him nowhere.

I join his open arms, snuggling closer as I hear the Knight siblings gather and discuss with hushed voices.

I melt into Rhys's embrace, seeking comfort as the Knight siblings huddle together, discussing their next move in hushed tones. We don't get far in our own conversation before Jace excuses himself and his family, saying they need some privacy to plan.

As they leave, I give Magnolia a quick nod, hoping it conveys some encouragement. She nods back, but her face remains serious. Rhys, Raya, Ostin, and I stand there, feeling lost and unsure of what to say. Ostin breaks the silence first.

"This family can never catch a break, huh?" he mutters, sounding almost defeated. We all nod in agreement, each of us feeling the weight of the uncertainty. Before the quiet stretches too long, Ostin suggests, "Maybe we should head to Silvers. What do you think?"

Fuck YES.

At the same time this thought crosses my mind, Raya words the exact same thoughts out loud.