35. Impassive

I'm nuzzled in his bed, exhausted, as he tries to make me eat the chicken broth he cooked earlier for me

I'm nuzzled in his bed, exhausted, as he tries to make me eat the chicken broth he cooked earlier for me. I told him I no longer feel any pain, sleep being the only thing on my mind at the moment. But as stubborn and protective as he is, none of my wants are on his list, as he pushes another scoop of soup past my lips.

"Ostin is pissed isn't he ?" I mutter as I look up at Rhys, a small smile tugging at his lips from my statement.

"He'll get over it. He has to understand to accept the choices I make for my girl. I'll always do what is best for you. Or try, so don't carve one of my eyes out if I am mistaken."

My lips tighten in a smile, as he kisses my forehead before taking the bowl and setting it next to the bed. "Feeling any better ?"

I snuggle closer to him, my eyes fluttering open and close, as my hand slowly wraps around the necklace dangling around my neck, the two sliver hearts cold against my skin. I want to see Liam again and soon. I miss him. But instead I bury my head in Rhys's chest, feeling him close to me and it's more than enough. He is all I need to survive.

I gaze up at Rhys, positioned above me, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. However, a faint trace of discomfort flickers in his cinnamon-colored eyes. "What's wrong?" I inquire.

"Just a minor headache, princess. Nothing to worry about." He responds, though I furrow my brow because I sense there's more he's not sharing at this moment. "I'm relieved you're in my arms again, instead of once again trying to escape from me."

I let out a scoff at his confession, playfully tapping his arm, the impact hardly affecting his strong physique. He brushes it off, and I nestle my head onto his chest, his arms enveloping me in a protective embrace.

The peace doesn't last long, as a crashing sound echoes against the walls of the penthouse, making me jolt up his arms, his body immediately on high alert as he stands up to face his bedroom door. I can't even see it, his tall frame positioned exactly in front of me, so I would be out of reach if something came through the door.

My breath falters, my fists gripping tightly upon the sheets around me, as I watch Rhys slowly bend down to the bed frame and pull something from underneath it. A gun.

He cocks the gun with ease, checking for munitions, before silently signalling me to stand right behind him.

Their steps immediately head towards the bedroom, about two or three pair of feet rushing to us. "What is going on ?"I whisper in a breath.

The sounds indicate that the intruders are entering through the emergency exit located at the rear of his apartment—a pathway restricted to few people alone. These emergency stairs are typically locked; Rhys himself never utilizes them.

Swiftly, the footsteps zero in on the bedroom, the hurried footfalls of two or maybe three individuals closing in on our spot. "What's happening?" I whisper, my breath barely audible.