54. Oblivious minds

My mouth opens and closes, words struggling to move passed my lips

My mouth opens and closes, words struggling to move passed my lips. At the simple sight of her, memories and nightmares of her verbal and physical abuse are thrown at me, and there is nothing I can do. My muscles harshly tense which results in my limbs shaking.

Ari's touch on my lower back does little to ease my aching body.

I can't take my eyes off my mother. Yet, I wished I could because I notice how confusion slowly leaves space for anger. Just like how I had seen it happen so many times in the past. I start to take a step back, unable to go through what is coming next.

But I barely have time to back away, those horrid words fall past her lips. "How could you do this to us, Liliana?! You disappeared for weeks, uncaring to even let us know what happened." Her voice shakes with anger and for a moment her eyes shift to look at Rhys.

"You left to be with him?" she continues to bellow out of rage, but I see what is coming next. And I will not her do it.  "For a man that-"

"You better shut your mouth in the next second, because if I am correct you were just about to insult my boyfriend. I will not tolerate such filthy words to be addressed to Rhys." My voice is sharp and threatening, as cold blood now fills my veins. She can threaten me all she wants, but going after someone I love is beyond my human boundaries.

My mother's expression drops at my words, and her face goes pale the second I take a step towards her. She stumbles back, unable to contain her shock at my verbal comeback. "So either you will let us in, so we can have a conversation or I walk right away. And I promise, this time I will never come back to give you a second chance."

She swallows with difficulty, before slowly baking inside the house to let us enter. This surrender feels like a slight win to me, satisfaction purring inside my chest. I feel Ari bend down to my neck when my mother turns around to lead us to the living room, where he slowly drops a kiss on my skin. "I'm proud of you, princess"

His words of praise warm up my heart and chest, and I swiftly grab his hand in mine as we walk into the living room. To my surprise, I find my father sitting in an armchair, his computer in hand and at first, he doesn't seem to notice our presence. My mother clears her throat to grab the attention of her husband and when he looks up, his gaze immediately turns to crash against mine.

Shock and confusion reflect in his grey eyes as he stares me down. "Hello Father," I manage to utter, without lacing too much anger in my words. He doesn't reply. He simply shifts his gaze to Ari, and I see how his fist clenches and unclenches from unreleased anger.

"Who is this man in my house, Melanie?" he addresses my mother, without giving me a second look. Even if I don't seek his acceptance, it still hurts me that he wouldn't even speak or look at me. Ignorance can create deeper wounds than any blade ever could.

"Her new boyfriend I believe," my mother replies with a shrug of nonchalance. "Although I doubt he could offer what Thomas gave her. He was simply in another league and our daughter chose to throw away all our work. Didn't you, Liliana?"