42. Awake and alive

Future you ?

Future you ?

"You're awake and alive."

I find myself sobbing against Liam's chest, struggling for air that refuses to fill my lungs. The words "I don't feel alive" rest on the edge of my tongue, yet they remain trapped, unspoken.

Desperation consumes me, the need for Liam to comprehend the magnitude of my hurt. I long for him to understand the haunting memories and relentless pain that torment my mind. The absence of his presence when I awoke terrified me.

I want to say how sorry I am. He was right. My scar never truly healed and I ignored it, which nearly ended up killing me.

"I'm so sorry. I should have—" I weep into his shoulder, clutching his sweatshirt with trembling hands, but my words falter.

"You're okay, Lils. That's all that matters," he whispers, his hand cradling the back of my head as he lifts me gently into his arms. I let myself go. All my energy is gone and having Lee by my side is all I can have right now. I surrender.

Ari can wait; but right now I need to get out of this cramped hallway where nurses and other curious people gathered around to stare at Lee and me.

Lightly tilting my head upwards to look at him, I ask him to bring me outside in the sun. I need to feel its warmth on my skin before the cold season takes over again. At first he rejects my request, but he ends up giving in.

"Still so convincing even after what you went through. I have to be honest I missed it." He pauses, stopping mid way on the outdoor path in one of the gardens of the hospital. He squeezes my arm that is entwined, giving me the support I need so my legs don't give out under the weight. "I really thought you wouldn't make it out Lils."

"But I'm here now, right?" I attempt a smile, but it contorts into a grimace.

Silence takes over as we quietly walk with the sun shinning on our faces, but I notice how quickly my energy gets drained.

"The days are starting to get warmer now. You'll be able to enjoy more of the sun when you get better. But I believe that we should get you back to bed now." he says, disregarding my groan of protest. He swoops one of his arms under my knees to embrace me in his arms again.

He only gives in from letting me back down on my feet when I ask him to grab me a pack of Oreo from the dispenser. And yet he only left me a few meters away from my room, a distance I could do on my own. Or so I thought.

My pace is sluggish as I make my way back to my hospital room, dizziness clouding my thoughts. My gaze catches a glimpse of familiar hickory brown hair disappearing around a corner. I halt abruptly, stumbling toward the spot where the figure vanished. Liam's hand gently seizes my wrist, turning me to face him. Before a word can come from his mouth, words spill from mine.

"How is Rhys doing? He is okay right? I-I think I saw him... I need to see if he is alright Lee..."

A deep frown creases his face, his eyes searching mine for something unspoken. "That night... He saved you, didn't he?" His words are delivered with care and a protective tone.