SEVEN

"Lexy!" Mr Walters called out and I grinned widely as we embraced. "Kiddo where have you been?" He asked sweetly and I sat down with him at the table. "Here and there...but I am so glad to be back here Mr Walters." He smiled softly, is dark wrinkled skin showing his age and I realised how long it had been.

We talked for a while before Sam popped up. "Mr Walters...can I steal Lexy for a moment?" He asked sweetly, extending his arm for me, Mr Walters nodded, winking at Sam before I took his arm. "That Mr Walters has always been fond of you." He said quietly as we moved to the edge of the party.

"How are you doing? With everything going on with Jason and your job." I leant back against the tree-arms folded as I watched everyone. The laughter, the smiles even Bucky seemed to be enjoying himself as AJ swung from his arm. "I'm better than I thought." I said honestly.

"Mmhmm and you and Bucky?" I punched him in the arm and he huffed as he rubbed it. "Nothing Sam...we're just friends." I said sternly, folding my arms across my chest. We were. Friends. Yet as I watched Bucky, something stirred inside me. I was incredibly fond of him, appreciated everything he'd done for me and truly, honestly trusted the man with my life.

But the smile on his face as it met his eyes and he lit up, I'd never seen him appear so normal, not haunted or pained just, content and I found myself smiling softly, and it confused me.

"Friends." Sam said as he lowered his head to my ear, snapping me from my thoughts. "Don't look at each other the way you're... looking at him." I went to punch him again but he jumped back, pointing at me as he laughed. "You are so dead." I growled playfully as I chased him back to the party, giving up as he darted into the crowd. "Ass." I shook my head and grabbed another beer.

The party continued well into the night and as it began to die down I found myself sitting in the bench swing under the old oak tree, swinging slightly as Bucky approached and I smiled softly at him. "Have fun?" I asked quietly and he nodded slightly. I moved over so he could sit next to me, watching him closely.

"It's always a good time here." I could hear how serious he was and I could see how relaxed he appeared. "I'm gonna move here. This is home." I whispered, watching as the remaining stragglers moved off, going back home. "It really is." He agreed quietly next to me and I grabbed his left hand, squeezing it slightly, an understanding between us.

It began to get cold and he got up, handing me his jacket again. "I do love how old fashioned you are." I said softly as I slipped it on, snuggling into the warmth. He held his arm out to me and I took it, expecting to just get up but he moved us back towards the lawn before he placed his left hand on my hip and held my left with his right.

I looked up at him, frowning slightly. "What are you doing?" I asked him quietly and he just smiled softly before he moved us, leading me as we began to dance slowly to no music, under the fairy lights and moon. "You know, if you keep treating me like this." I whispered, smiling softly. "It's going to be hard for me to accept anything less." He smiled slightly, his tongue resting on his lips slightly as he twirled me around.

"You shouldn't accept anything less, Lexy." He replied softly as he pulled me back to him. I dropped my head to his chest, closing my eyes as I soaked it up. "And you?" I questioned quietly as I pulled my hand from his and wrapped my arms around his waist. "I'm too...old school. I tried that online dating but it isn't for me." I snorted, trying not to laugh at the vision of him trying to use technology let alone date using it.

"Sorry...I'm not laughing at you...well ok I am but." I pulled back and looked up at him, he was frowning but there was a look of almost delight, interest even like he wanted me to elaborate. "I could help you with that you know. Like, make sure you only match with women of similar interests, you know." I smiled warmly, taking a step back from his arms and held my hand out to him.