THIRTY-EIGHT

The sun was setting on our last day in Louisiana and I had just finished the dishes when Lexy hugged me from behind, squeezing me gently. "You know I don't like it when you do that." I said gruffly and she giggled softly as she loosened her grip and I turned to her, hugging her back.

"I know...you love my hugs." She said softly as I squeezed her tightly. I scoffed before I picked her up, carrying her upstairs to the bedroom. She held onto me tightly as I tried to drop her to the bed and we both chuckled when I realised she wasn't letting go so I dropped backwards to the mattress instead.

She let me go slightly but remained laying on my chest as I played with her hair. "I need to ask you something." I said abruptly and she raised a brow at me before I sat up and she sat back, tilting her head at me. This had been on my mind for a while now, especially after what happened with Blackwood.

"What's wrong?" She asked quietly as she pulled her knees up and hugged them, watching me closely. I sighed deeply and rubbed my temples. "You would do anything right?" My voice was low but she looked at me like she didn't quite understand what I was asking so I went on.

"You would do what needed to be done. To stop them. You would do anything?" She raised her brows at me with the look of  'the hell kind of question was that?' I wasn't a fucking hero but I also wouldn't just sacrifice someone to do the right thing. 'Rule no2: don't hurt anyone'. Every life deserves to be protected so I needed to know if it came down to it, would she do what needed to be done when it came to me.

"To an extent yes. But I'd rather sacrifice myself than let someone die." She replied sternly and I smiled crookedly before I looked up at her. "Sure you're not related to Steve?" I joked lightly and she smacked my chest as she tried not to laugh. Fuck that actually hurt, god she's gotten stronger.

I straightened up after a while and I felt the tick in my jaw before I spoke. "Would you kill me? If it meant protecting people?" She slapped me and I honestly didn't blame her. "Absolutely fucking not! Don't you dare ask me that again." She spat at me before she climbed under the sheet and rolled from me, pissed right off now.

"I would rather you kill me, than turn...and I'd rather you kill me than make me kill you because it would break me, ok...I'd never recover if I had to." I laid down behind her and pulled her closer, hugging her tightly as I felt her exhaled shakily. I hated asking it of her, but I had to know because she would be the only person to stop me if it came down to it.

We remained there, silently for what felt like hours before I kissed her shoulder and rolled her to her back. "Lexy...I don't think I could either." I smiled softly as she patted my cheek. "Then we're at an impasse and neither can do it so let's drop it ok...it's really depressing." She whispered softly and I smiled crookedly.

She flicked my forehead and I blinked rapidly before I pulled her closer and she nuzzled herself against me. "Bucky." She said softly and I hummed in reply as she gripped my shirt tightly. "Do you make promises?" She asked hesitantly and I moved slightly, as I leant back and looked down at her. "There's no one to make them to, except you now, why?"

She bit her lip, deep in thought and I watched her intently for a while before she exhaled deeply and smiled weakly. "Can you make me a promise?" She asked quietly and I nodded slightly. "Promise me, that no matter what happens, you will not let yourself be turned. Even if it means something happens to me or you're forced to. I need you to promise me you won't let them break you."

My gripped tightened on her waist. "Lex...I...I'm not sure I can." I said quietly and she sat up, rubbing her temples. I sat up too before I grabbed her chin gently and made her look at me.