𝟺𝟾 | 𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝙷𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝙼𝚎

『••✎••』

Looking for Coulson felt nerve-racking. Was Hazel in trouble? Had Coulson gotten mad that she had stayed with Ward rather than going back with everyone else? They were questions that the blonde could only hope would be answered. 

"I hope May did not scare you into looking for me," Coulson spoke up as he saw the girl walking towards him. 

"Of course not," Hazel said lightly, taking a seat by Coulson. "Her mysteriousness did that all on its own."

The agent only smiled at her joke, showing how serious the situation was.

"The mission Agent May and I went to revealed information of where you and Skye come from," Coulson started explaining, a solemn expression on his face. "When we started this, I warned you and Skye-" 

"I don't care how bad it is," Hazel interrupted. "The truth is more important to me, no matter how bad it is." 

The older agent took a deep breath before starting the story he was sure would break Hazel's heart. "The agents who dropped you and Skye at St. Agnes were not your mothers." 

"There were two?" Hazel couldn't help but ask, voice growing shakier with emotion. 

"They were killed trying to protect you both. Twenty-four years ago, an entire S.H.I.E.L.D. team in a small village was massacred," Coulson continued, his heart tightening as he saw the tears cloud the blonde's vision. "They were supposed to retrieve on 0-8-4, yet they came back with two." 

Confusion was on Hazel's face as she stared at the agent. "Two 0-8-4s? That doesn't make any sense."

"They were supposed to retrieve Skye only. The agent who died rescuing her found you too and couldn't leave you behind," with every word that left his mouth, more tears were spilling from Hazel's eyes. "Ever since then, the two agents made sure you both were safe. The constant moving in the foster system was a protection protocol they had designed." 

Hazel's breathing had picked up, and although she was trying to hold her composure, tears were down her cheeks. "And they- they are all dead?" Hazel asked hope in her voice of talking to someone who saved her. 

"I'm sorry," Coulson said, which broke the last strength of the blonde, who stood up quickly, trying to contain the sobs rocking her whole body. "Hazel, wait."

"I- just need- I just need a minute," Hazel gasped before rushing away from Coulson.