𝟻𝟽 | 𝙽𝚘𝚠 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝙲𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚜𝚎

『••✎••』

『••✎••』

The agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. standing in the command center of The Bus were a mess. The organization they had put their trust in had seemed to be corrupted deep within, standing upfront and giving orders.

"I thought Hydra was defeated after World War II," Fitz wondered, hands on his head as he paced on a small spot around the room.

Coulson nodded his head, a distant look in his eyes still. "It was. S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded in the wake of that victory."

"And now they're back?"

"Hydra always comes back," Garrett reminds solemnly, earning looks from everyone else in the room.

"Cut off a head. Two more will take its place," Coulson recites, glancing at the screen again, which still displayed the dreaded message.

Garrett frowned, glancing towards Coulson. "Is it a head? I thought it was a limb," the agent mentions, confused.

"No, no, no. 'Cut off a head,'" Fitz assures, crossing his arms as he looks at the still confused agent.

"Cut off a limb."

"It's a head," Coulson assures. The conversation is cut short as Skye speaks up.

"But it was sent from a S.H.I.E.L.D. source. It's got to be some activation signal to Hydra members within S.H.I.EL.D.," Skye brings up, attention falling on both girls who stared at the agents.

"Hand must be one of them," Coulson suddenly declares, taking everyone in the room by surprise.

"Okay, stop. Stop. Wha- What does that mean? IN S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Fitz asked, eyebrows furrowed as he tried to understand what was happening.

For someone so bright, it seemed pretty absurd how long it took for the engineer to process the betrayal within S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Tarrgeting Level 8 agents, seizing power. Wonder how deep it goes," Garrett recalled, glancing at the two girls at the computers for an answer.

"The signal is everywhere. Deep," Skye assured, glancing at the two older agents.

"And as much as we hope, there are more of them and less of us. If they have been planning this, I doubt they run a book club," Hazel mentioned, placing her hands flat on the holocom. The shakiness in them being missed by the rest of the team.

"You know what the means?" Coulson asks, glancing at Garrett, who nods in response.

"Yeah. We're screwed."

"We can't change course, and we have no idea what's waiting for us at The Hub."

Fitz looked down, a thoughtful look on his face. "The Hub," the engineer muttered, his eyes frantically looking at something that for him showed on the floor.