A Dark Twist

Adrien glanced out the window, seeing Ladybug at the car. He felt a rush of anxiety and quickly looked away.
He was glad she found the miraculous but he was devastated that he was being forced away from her.

Ladybug held the ring tightly. She heard someone coming and ducked behind the side of the car so they wouldn't see her.

"Yes, he got on the plane. No Gabriel, I didn't go with him. I told you before that I have no part in your selfish plans. The wish comes with consequences, Gabriel! I already told you that. If you succeed and Adrien lives, he'll hate you. You're putting his life in jeopardy!"

Nathalie groaned and pulled the phone down from her ear as Gabriel had hung up on her.

Ladybug gritted her teeth in anger.
How hadn't she seen this before?
She missed all of the signs. She should've listened to her gut feeling about him!

Plagg sat on her knee as she was still kneeled down.

"I bet he created a sentimonster of himself. There's no other way he could be in two places at once. And I saw him get on the plane."

Ladybug nodded, glancing back up to the sky as a rain drop landed on her nose.

"I know what I have to do."

She looked back down at Plagg and frowned.

"It's the only way I can defeat hawkmoth without... without Adrien."

Plagg nodded his head in agreement.

"I trust you. Just don't let the miraculous fall into the wrong hands. There's no telling what Gabriel has planned, but whatever it is, it seems more rotten than a piece of moldy cheese. I'm sure Tikki would agree."

Ladybug smiled down at the small Kwami and slipped the ring on her finger.

"I hope I'm making the right decision."

"I believe in you, Marinette."

"Tikki, Plagg, unify!"

A bright flash appeared around her as she looked down at her changed outfit.

"Time to find Gabriel."

She jumped from building to building until she arrived at the large mansion. The rain was now falling faster from the sky, followed by a low roar of thunder.

She slipped in through Adrien's window and stopped on the steps when she saw Nathalie walk in through the main entrance. She followed behind the woman quietly, making sure she wouldn't be seen.

She watched as the floor opened, revealing a set of stairs. Ladybug waited a few minutes before she followed Nathalie's steps. She slipped in behind them, hiding behind a large flower bush.

She couldn't believe her eyes. She glanced from the pathway to the flowers to the butterfly's to the...

'Is that Adrien's mom?'

She felt sick to her stomach as she finally saw the man that she'd been searching for since she became Ladybug. Nathalie stood behind him with a frown as he spoke to Meta Bee.

"What do you mean you can't find Ladybug?! You're not searching hard enough!"

He slammed his cane down on the floor in anger, making Nathalie jump.

Ladybug clenched her fists together and stood up.

"She can't find her because she's here!"

Ladybug's voice echoed through the room, making Hawkmoth and Nathalie turn around. He released the akuma from Chloe in the process.

Ladybug inched her way towards him, confidently swinging her yo-yo in a circle.

His eyes widened when he saw she had both miraculous, making him smile.

"Chat Noir decided not to show up, hm? How depressing. I was hoping I'd get to defeat both of you."

Ladybug narrowed her eyes at him, raising her voice.

"He would've been here if you hadn't of sent him to London!"

Hawkmoth gasped, his eyes widening. Nathalie quickly ran from the room. This was her breaking point with Gabriel. She knew what she needed to do.

"I can't believe that you would do such a thing!"

"I have to save my wife! You don't understand the pain I go through everyday when I see her lifeless face!"

She threw her yo-yo, hooking him around the legs, making him fall on his back.

"And you don't think Adrien feels the same way? Not only did he lose his mother but he lost his father too! You're not even worthy of being called his father. You're a selfish man."

Hawkmoth scowled and clenched his cane tightly against his side as he struggled to get free of the yo-yo's grip

But this was all making sense to her now. Gabriel needed their miraculous to bring Emilie back.

"Do you realize that the wish comes with a price? If you bring Emilie back, Adrien could fall in her place."

She stopped a few feet in front of him. She was prepared for this battle. But it was one she didn't want to fight.

"I'm... selfish aren't I?"

The man looked at her as his eyes flooded with tears. Was he willing to risk his sons life to save his wife?
Or... maybe he'd sacrifice someone else instead.

"Adrien moved on. It was hard for him, I'm sure, but... he managed. You need to let go to, Gabriel."

She pulled her yo-yo back, releasing him from the grip. She kneeled beside him, reaching out to take his miraculous but stopped when he started to speak again.

"You're right."

He sat up, releasing his transformation. Maybe this was easier than she thought it would be.

"I won't tell him if you give me your miraculous. You can still change."

Gabriel shook his head, looking up at her.

"I'm far too gone to change."

He grabbed her foot, making her fall. He pulled the ring off of her finger and put it on his own as a devilish grin spread across his face.

And then he unified the butterfly miraculous with the cat miraculous.

"Give up, Ladybug. It's over. I already have the cat miraculous."

Ladybug looked up at the tall man as he hovered over her.

"I will never give you my miraculous."

"Have it the hard way then."

"Cataclysm!"

He reached down as Ladybug quickly dodged him. His hand smashed into the ground, making the floor beneath them start to crumble.

Reaching behind him, he grabbed the baton and pushed it into her chest, pinning her to the wall.

"You would be the perfect candidate to take my wife's place."

"N-No! Please!"

She tried to pull herself free as he yanked the earrings from her ear, making her detransform and fall to the ground.

"I should've known it was you."

He poked the ladybug miraculous into his ear and closed his eyes as he unified Plagg and Tikki.

An evil laugh escaped his lips as he looked down at the girl who was trying to stand and get away from the monstrous man. 

"Goodbye, Ladybug."

Marinette looked up at him in fear as he made his wish.
She fell to the floor as Adrien nearly tore the hinges from the door as he pushed through it.

"Adrien..."

She whispered his name out, trying to reach for him. He was the last thing she saw before her hand fell to the floor and the darkness overtook her.