I'm Fine

Chat Noir pounced from rooftop to rooftop. The rain soaked his blonde hair as he leaped. He didn't hate the rain, but as Chat Noir, it was instinct to dislike it. Cats and water... they didn't mix well.

He noticed the light in the top apartment of the Tom and Sabine Boulangerie Pâtisserie on as he got closer. He climbed to the window and peaked in, seeing the girl slumped over in her swivel chair with her hand on the same book she was reading at the cafe. He leaped to the balcony door and gently opened it, poking his head inside. "Princess?"

He climbed in quietly after not hearing an answer and got to her level. He attempted to pull the book from her hand but her grip tightened and her eyes opened groggily. "Chat Noir? What're you doing here?" She slowly lifted her head and rubbed her eyes, putting the book on the opposite side of her.

Lightning lit up the room, making the blonde haired boy tense. Marinette smiled and put her hand on his in a sense of comfort. "Scared of the storm?" I nodded with a grin. "You could say that."

She looked down at the cover of the book and sighed. "What's wrong? Is everything... okay?" She sat in silence, not bothering to reply. She finally turned to him and started to say something before closing her mouth again. He lifted his hand under her chin, turning her head to the side as a dark bruise caught his attention. "Your eye..."

She pulled away and covered her face as a silent sob echoed in the room. He reached out, pulling her into a hug. He wanted to do something about her situation so badly, but there was nothing he could do that could make things better.

He glanced over ber shoulder at the pile of wet clothes that laid on her floor. A puddle of water surrounded them. He didn't dare to ask about them even though his curiosity ate him. He finally decided ti break the silence. "You can talk to me... you know?"

She looked up at him with overly sad eyes. It had been a long time since he'd seen that look. In fact... the last time was when his mother died and he caught a glimpse of himself in the bathroom mirror. "I... I know. I'm just... I don't know how..."

"We could start by talking about what's on your mind." He could feel her tense as he finally pulled away to look at her. He was still kneeled down in front of her chair. "I don't know how to explain it. It's like, a darkness that's clouding my vision. A nightmare that I can't wake up from. Or... an eclipse. An eclipse that never moves from in front of the sun."

She sighed and shook her head. She didn't expect him to understand but he did. In fact, he understood a little too much. That's the same feeling he felt when his mother died... or rather, disappeared. "I'm... I'm really sorry that you feel that way. Is there anything I can do that would make it better? Even a little bit better?"

Marinette smiled at his generosity. "Just be here. I don't want to be alone, I really don't. It's worse when..." Chat Noir looked down, finishing her sentence for her, "when no one is there. When you're... alone."

She nodded her head and looked away, feeling embarrassed in the slightest of ways. Maybe he did understand. She wondered if he'd ever gone through the same thing or... something similar at least. She didn't want to pry into his personal life, so she kept it to herself. She finally pulled away after a few minutes and silently went to the bathroom. A few moments later, she returned. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you with all of my problems."

She let out a nervous laugh as he shook his head quickly. "Bother me? No! It's fine, okay? I don't mind. I know how you feel and I didn't have anyone to lean on so... I want to be here for you. It's okay to cry. It's okay to show your emotions. Everyone needs to let them out now and then." He smiled reassuringly and stood up, walking towards her. "I'll always be here for you, don't forget that. Okay?"