12. Unfortunate Effects

A week later, Wednesday had afternoon plans with Mila and dinner plans with James.

They were the unfortunate side effects of her genius plot to take down the normies and discover the hidden side of Jericho. 

"There's no way I'm letting you go on that date with James!" Mila exclaimed passionately. 

Wednesday stared intensely at the girl. "You are right, you will not let me do anything. I am fully capable of making decisions for myself, Mila. Just because we are friends does not mean you get to take control of my life."

The normie rolled her eyes. "I know, Wednesday, but he's such a bad guy."

"He introduced me to you, did he not?" The outcast asked in return.

Mila crossed her arms. "That's not fair. I talk to a lot of people. James just happens to be one of them. And he introduced us because he likes you. He was trying to win your attention from Xavier."

That last sentence in particular aggravated Wednesday. Mila was practically dating Xavier, and she was still showing small hints of jealousy toward his fake ex-girlfriend. Wednesday was grateful she would be getting rid of Mila once her plot was put into action.

Mila quickly grabbed Wednesday's arm and pulled her down the stairs to her living room. A boy with shaggy brown hair and the same green eyes as Mila's looked up. "What do you want, Mila?" 

Then his eyes darted to Wednesday. "And who're you? I've never seen you in town before," the boy commented.

Mila smiled and walked closer to the boy, nodding toward Wednesday to follow her steps. "This is Wednesday!" The blonde smiled at the noirette. "Wednesday, this is my brother, Zachary."

Zachary nodded. "Wednesday, nice to meet you. Mila talks a lot about you. You go to Nevermore, right?"

Wednesday stared at the brunette boy. "Yes."

The boy nodded again. "Cool. You can call me Zach, by the way," he said, glaring at Mila. "No one calls me Zachary."

Mila sporadically turned to Wednesday with a gleam of recklessness in her eyes. "Hey, I totally forgot, but I actually have to go to the guitar lessons. You don't mind staying here with Zach, do you?"

"I have nowhere else to be until dinner, and it would be witless to spend money on a trolley ride back to Nevermore. I hope your brother is not afraid of outcasts," Wednesday answered.

"I've never been afraid of outcasts," Zachary scoffed.

Mila smiled. "Great! I'll see you later! Bye!"

The boy's eyes were glued to Wednesday as soon as his sister left the house. "So, dinner plans? With who?"

"James McCellan. Why are you so intrigued by my plans? Normies are supposed to hate outcasts," The girl reminded him.

Zachary rolled his eyes. "Gosh, good luck with that. James is the worst of the worst. I dunno how you agreed to go on a date with him. And I've never hated outcasts. My family thinks I'm weird for that."

"Your family is correct. You are indubitably strange for not thinking outcasts are evil," Wednesday agreed.

The boy smiled at the girl. "So, why did you agree to go on a date with James? There's no way you don't know he's a total asshole."

"I am completely aware of how self-centered, experienceless, and regular James McCellan is. The motives for going on a date with him are none of your concern, Zachary Chapman. I do not see why you are making them your concern," The outcast retorted.